Seaside Tinkered Treasures
Transform any mound of sand into a castle and any outdoor space into a carnival with flags and bunting made from grocery bags. Chances are you already have a vibrant collection of colored bags in a cupboard or hanging behind a door. Reusable and recyclable, solid or patterned, if they’re plastic or vinyl, they’re waterproof, so cut them up and bedeck your outside spaces!
- amyistheparty added Grocery Bag Bunting And Sandcastle Flags to beach day 18 Apr 22:02
- amyistheparty favorited Grocery Bag Bunting And Sandcastle Flags 18 Apr 22:02
- Caz added Grocery Bag Bunting And Sandcastle Flags to Seaside Party 30 Mar 15:52
- SugarNSpiceLily favorited Grocery Bag Bunting And Sandcastle Flags 09 Mar 22:49
- Ryland Peters & Small published his project Grocery Bag Bunting And Sandcastle Flags 28 Feb 13:04
Start by creating a template from a
sturdy piece of paper. Fold it in half
and crease well. Mark and cut a triangle
shape with the fold as the bottom edge,
so that when opened you should have a
diamond shape to use as your template.
Make a small diamond template for the
sandcastle flags and a larger diamond
template for the bunting (approximately
4 in/10 cm high).
For the bunting, cut as many
diamonds as needed, lay them out
flat and open and apply craft glue to the
wrong side, making sure to cover the
edges. Lay baker’s twine along the inner
crease and close the diamond along the
string, making sure the edges are lined
up. You may need to hold pieces closed
until the glue has set, either by
weighting down with something heavy
or securing with clothespins.
For sandcastle flags, lay the small
diamonds flat and apply glue as
before. Slip a toothpick into the fold,
positioning it toward the top. Close the
diamond along the toothpick, press to
smooth as needed, and allow to dry.
Keep a supply of sandcastle flags in
your beach bag so that you are
always ready to festoon a fortress.
The sharper your scissors, the
easier it will be to cut up plastic
FANCY THIS Make extra flags to
pitch in sandwiches and turn a
picnic into a party.