little owl original
Prep Time: 2 hours Cooking Time: 1 hour
Serves: 12 portions
- Kinhime Dragon added Gravy Meatball Sliders to Food 20 Aug 16:16
- Janay S. favorited Gravy Meatball Sliders 05 May 20:45
- Chudames favorited Gravy Meatball Sliders 13 Apr 21:53
- Suzi T. favorited Gravy Meatball Sliders 25 Mar 14:41
- A Bite To Eat published her project Gravy Meatball Sliders 24 Mar 06:00
You Will Need
For the buns:
1. In an electric mixing bowl using the hook attachment, mix the warm water, yeast, olive oil and molasses. Add the flour and the salt. The dough will become a wet mixture but will remain a little sticky.
2. Remove the dough onto a floured clean surface and gently knead into a soft ball.
3. Place the dough in a mixing bowl brushed with olive oil and cover. Store in a warm
humid area for 30 minutes or until the dough rises to double its size.
4. Wrap 2 bulbs of whole garlic in aluminum foil and roast in a medium heat oven until
5. Squeeze the whole bulbs of roasted garlic to release the soft interior. Lightly chop
the roasted garlic until it resembles a purée.
6. Knead in the roasted garlic and portion the dough into 1-inch round balls.
7. Place the prepared portioned raw dough balls on a sheet pan lined with parchment
paper approximately 2 inches apart. Cover with plastic and allow the dough balls to rise again. After 20 minutes spray the raw dough balls with cold water, sprinkle with a pinch of the freshly grated pecorino, salt and pepper and bake for 20 minutes in a 400 ̊F oven.
For the meatballs:
1. Mix the ground meat together with the cheese (reserve a pinch for garnish), eggs, bread crumbs, and 3⁄4 of the amount of chopped parsley, cold water, salt and pepper. Roll the balls to same shape as the buns.
2. In a large shallow sauce pot heat the vegetable oil. Pan fry the meatballs until thoroughly browned.
3. Remove the meatballs and add to the same pan, the chopped Spanish onion, chopped fresh garlic, basil, and parsley and fennel seed. Cook together for 5-8 minutes until the vegetables brown slightly.
4. Add the can of tomatoes and fill the can halfway with water and add the water to the sauce. Cook the sauce 30 minutes then pass it through a food mill. Add sauce back into pot along with the meatballs and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Cut the baked garlic buns in half and toast the cut side. Top the meatballs with grated pecorino and chopped parsley and reheat to melt the cheese. Assemble the sliders and use a skewer to keep them from sliding all over the place. You can also use some fresh arugula leaves under the sliders for color garnish and to keep them from sliding all over the place.