It's easier than it looks!!!
For this tutorial, you will be drafting your own pattern as well as creating your gored trumpet skirt. On the one that I did, I cut the bottom too short and I had to sew it back on. So, please excuse the seam running along the bottom. I thought this was going to be alot harder but it was actually quite simple. I can't wait to see your different versions of this!!!
So let's get to it!!!!
- Key West Witch favorited Gored Trumpet Skirt 06 Sep 16:08
- Melissa S. favorited Gored Trumpet Skirt 10 Jun 04:08
- Amanda S. favorited Gored Trumpet Skirt 11 May 19:23
- Hannah Z. favorited Gored Trumpet Skirt 14 Jan 23:44
- notdeadredhead favorited Gored Trumpet Skirt 18 Jul 04:36
- Kathleen H. favorited Gored Trumpet Skirt 23 Jun 05:05
- Alecia B. favorited Gored Trumpet Skirt 22 Apr 04:56
- Amanda B. favorited Gored Trumpet Skirt 04 Apr 20:43
- Recycled Miracles favorited Gored Trumpet Skirt 01 Sep 16:07
- Charity W. favorited Gored Trumpet Skirt 17 Jul 06:39
Let's draft the pattern. For this step you can use a paper grocery bag that has been opened up flat. I used a large gift box. It's sturdy and I was able to use it to trace the shape of the skirt better.
-First, you will need your waist measurement. Divide that number by 6. This is the top line.
Using your pattern cut out 6 pieces.
-Once you've got them cut out you need to determine where you want the skirt to start flaring out. I wanted mine to start about 6 inches from the hem.
-After you know where you want your skirt to flare out, measure it and cut out 6 triangles equal to the length of you flare point. For example, I wanted my skirt to flare 6 inches from the hem so, my triangles are 6 inches on each side. Set aside for now.
-Sew each panel together. DO NOT sew them all the way down. Stop when you get to the flare point on your skirt. (I stopped 6 inches from the bottom since my flare started 6 inches from the bottom.
-For the waist band you will need a strip of material that is the size of your waist plus 1 1/2 inch. It should be 2 1/2 inches wide.
-Fold the edges 1/4" in and press. Fold the strip in half so that it is 3/4 inches wide and press. Open it up. Pin and sew it wrong side up all the way around the inside of the skirt (1/4" seam allowance). Fold the strip down and do the same on the outside.
- Add elastic to the waist, Hem the bottom and you're done