Sticky gingerbread layer cake with cream cheese icing.
Recipe from Gingerbread Wonderland, Kyle Books. Photography © Tara Fisher.
A rich and sticky sponge layer cake paired with a tangy cream cheese icing.
© 2021 Sinclair, Mima / Kyle Books · Reproduced with permission.
- Kinhime Dragon favorited Gingerbread Layer Cake With Maple Icing 09 Jul 12:51
- C.J. M. added Gingerbread Layer Cake With Maple Icing to Glorious Food! 29 Jun 08:42
- C.J. M. favorited Gingerbread Layer Cake With Maple Icing 29 Jun 08:42
- KMOM14 favorited Gingerbread Layer Cake With Maple Icing 28 Jun 16:40
- Key West Witch favorited Gingerbread Layer Cake With Maple Icing 26 Jun 23:38
- Crafterella featured Gingerbread Layer Cake With Maple Icing 25 Jun 23:00
- Super Madcow added Gingerbread Layer Cake With Maple Icing to Food 24 Jun 20:18
- Super Madcow favorited Gingerbread Layer Cake With Maple Icing 24 Jun 20:17
- Mima Sinclair published their project Gingerbread Layer Cake With Maple Icing 24 Jun 09:00
You Will Need
Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Grease and line 3 x 18cm round cake tins with baking paper.
Pour the treacle, golden syrup, sugar and butter into a large saucepan; melt over a low-medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Pour into a large bowl; leave to cool for 10 minutes.
Beat the eggs and milk together, then using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer beat into the cooled treacle mixture. Sift the remaining dry ingredients, and ½ teaspoon of salt, over the wet mix and beat in with the lemon zest until just combined.
Divide the batter equally between the lined tins. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until risen and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the tins; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
For the icing: using a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the soft cheese and continue to beat for another 2-3 minutes until smooth, then beat in the maple syrup for a further 30 seconds.
Use a large palette knife to spread a little icing over the first layer of sponge, then top with the next layer of sponge. Repeat with the third layer, then use the remaining icing to top the cake and cover the sides. For a smooth finish, put a thin layer of icing on first, chill, then repeat with a thicker layer.
Sprinkle coconut over the top to finish. Create a snow scene on top by adding mini gingerbread houses, trees and bear decorations.