Can't afford a giant cactus then make one.
I can’t justify the cost of buying a giant cactus, real or artificial and I don’t have the greenest of fingers. Therefore I decided that the only way I was going to get a giant cactus was by making one. As this was a fun decor piece I decided to pimp my paper mache cacti with paper napkins. So I now have a fantastic Marimekko giant cactus and a giant pear cactus.
- Rebecca favorited Giant Paper Mache Cactus 15 May 11:02
- Sarah Sylvia S. favorited Giant Paper Mache Cactus 18 Jul 04:45
- Asherah Arts (formerly Lee Rose) favorited Giant Paper Mache Cactus 04 Aug 00:11
- Bernardo S. favorited Giant Paper Mache Cactus 28 Jul 05:24
- Summer O. favorited Giant Paper Mache Cactus 17 May 05:56
- Grace S. added Giant Paper Mache Cactus to Splash Wall Art (Paper) 05 Mar 12:56
- The Sewing Maven favorited Giant Paper Mache Cactus 16 Feb 20:11
- pillarboxblue published her project Giant Paper Mache Cactus 14 Feb 09:00
For the final paper mache layer use paper napkins. Most napkins are 3 ply, separate out your napkins so you only use the top printed ply. This time don’t cut your napkins into strips but tear them so you get a feathered edge. Using the same glue mixture and method with the tissue cover your cactus in the napkins.
Finally when the napkin layer is dry cover the whole cactus with waterproof PVA to provide it with a protective finish. Water proof PVA glue is thicker than normal PVA so it's best to apply with a foam brush so as not to tear the napkins. This PVA appear white when applied but don’t worry as it dries clear.