Do you ever get an itching to paint something? I do. A lot.
Prepping a project like this is 100% CRUCIAL to having a fantastic outcome.
First things first, I lightly sanded down the dresser, removing the shiny finish, scuff marks and pen marks. Then, I gave the whole thing (except the drawers) a few coats of glossy, white paint. I didn't sand down the drawers (more on this later).
Then, I got down to business. The business of making perfectly square, squares.
- Cassandra L. added Geometric Dresser to Louise Bechers Room 05 Feb 03:12
- judithchen added Geometric Dresser to Kourtney 08 Dec 14:02
- Rachel F. favorited Geometric Dresser 28 Sep 22:14
- tam b. favorited Geometric Dresser 22 Feb 17:39
- Logan M. favorited Geometric Dresser 17 Dec 15:37
- Sarah W. favorited Geometric Dresser 08 Dec 20:43
- Witchy favorited Geometric Dresser 08 Dec 18:11
- Michelle v. favorited Geometric Dresser 06 Dec 20:36
- Mikoto added Geometric Dresser to Inspiration 06 Dec 01:19
- thehowtogal published her project Geometric Dresser 07 Aug 19:51
Measure your dresser drawer from top to bottom and across. Let's pretend this giant black rectangle is my drawer. Because it is 5 inches down and 15 inches across, you can make 3 perfect squares out of it. My actual drawer didn't have perfect measurements like this, so I had to add a little extra on each end to split it into 4 even squares. But you get the idea.
I did one triangle at a time on each drawer. It was faster this way since I didn't have to switch back and forth between paint colors. After each triangle was dry, I carefully peeled off the tape and started outlining the next triangle. Also, because I didn't sand down the dresser drawers beforehand (wanted to keep the original white, glossy finish on the one white triangle), I lightly sanded each triangle after it was taped off so the paint would stick better.
When I had finished painting all of the triangles, I let them dry an additional day before applying two coats of polyurethane. I then installed new, shiny handles for a finishing touch.