They really do taste like the French toast they are named after.
When I first invented these cakes my family simply couldn’t get enough of them. They really do taste like the French toast they are named after. I think they look cute with light brown icing and miniature gingerbread men sprinkled on top.
- Brittney S. added French Toast Cupcakes to Food 07 Jul 05:46
- Julie Phillips favorited French Toast Cupcakes 03 May 07:50
- Cheychey added French Toast Cupcakes to Foooooood 07 Oct 02:58
- DetroitMommy favorited French Toast Cupcakes 03 May 15:43
- Chudames favorited French Toast Cupcakes 07 Apr 23:31
- RareJewel favorited French Toast Cupcakes 30 Nov 05:49
- Suzi T. favorited French Toast Cupcakes 07 Nov 22:50
- e p. favorited French Toast Cupcakes 03 Nov 00:37
- Katie P. added French Toast Cupcakes to My Diabetes is Tingling 07 Aug 22:35
- BlackCherry favorited French Toast Cupcakes 22 Jul 21:57
You Will Need
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line a 12-hole nonstick muffin tray with paper cases.
Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a bowl. Melt the butter and let it cool slightly.
In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs together, then add the melted butter. Mix the vanilla, maple syrup and milk in a separate bowl or jug.
Now stir the flour mixture into the sugar, eggs and butter, followed by the milk mixture. Beat until everything is well combined.
Divide the mixture between the paper cases so that each is about three-quarters full. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Check with a skewer – it should come out clean if the cakes are cooked. Remove the cakes from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool.
Meanwhile, make the icing. Using an electric whisk, mix the butter and cream cheese. Add the icing sugar, a third at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add the cinnamon with the last of the icing sugar. Add a dot or two of food colouring if you like.
Using a piping bag with a straightedged nozzle, pipe icing onto the cakes, working from the outside into a peak in the centre. Decorate with sprinkles – I like to use gingerbread men.