How to do a French Ladder Braid
You can do this braid pretty easily if you have the basic knowledge of a French braid. This hairstyle uses a few different braiding techniques; French braiding, feather braiding and ladder braiding. In the tutorial, I will show you how to do this braid as pigtails, but of course, it can be done as one braid down the middle if you chose.
- marla k. favorited French Ladder Braid Tutorial 07 Oct 07:06
- Rebeccah D. favorited French Ladder Braid Tutorial 01 Sep 13:57
- Carla B. added French Ladder Braid Tutorial to Style my locks... 21 Jul 20:14
- Carla B. favorited French Ladder Braid Tutorial 21 Jul 20:14
- Julia L. added French Ladder Braid Tutorial to Hair styles 17 Dec 10:56
- asia.pearce favorited French Ladder Braid Tutorial 24 Jul 07:39
- Sassy M. favorited French Ladder Braid Tutorial 27 Jun 01:57
- Sewa E. added French Ladder Braid Tutorial to Hair 20 Nov 22:35
- tyler t. favorited French Ladder Braid Tutorial 06 Aug 11:19
- Adelina W. favorited French Ladder Braid Tutorial 11 Mar 23:39
Before you add in hair and cross over on the outside section, take a small piece out (a feather piece). You may need to clip it out of the way or have the person you are braiding hold it. This is called feather braiding! Now that you have the piece left out, finish the step as you normally would do a French braid by adding in hair and crossing it over the middle section. Braid the inside section as you would a French braid. In short, *the only thing you will be doing differently than a French braid is leaving a small section of hair out before you cross over on the outside section (the side closest to the face).*
Continue all the way down to the bottom of the hair. When you run out of hair to add in, continue in a three strand braid, only keep feathering the braid by leaving a small section out on the outside section before you cross it over. Finish off with an elastic at the ends. This is what it should look like when you are done with this step.
For this next braid, each time you cross the inside section over, add in a feather piece from the previous braid. Braid the outside section like you would a normal three strand braid. This is called a ladder braid, because your feather pieces from the braid before make what looks like rungs in a ladder. Continue this until you run out of hair to add in.
When you run out of feather pieces to add in, add the braid end in as your last feather piece. Continue braiding a three strand braid to the ends and finish off with an elastic. *Another option is to just stop braiding when you run out of feather pieces and add an elastic to finish off here.*