How to create Abstract masterpieces using only an eye dropper and liquid paint!
The pressure to create a masterpiece out of thin air is something I think we all experience, it is also the reason many of us avoid creating in the first place. The amazing thing about EYE DROPPER PAINTING is that not only can anyone do it, but it eliminates all of that unnecessary pressure.
You won't be using a paintbrush or pencil at all, but rather an eye dropper! With so much out of your control you will be forced to let go and experience the artistic process without all those other thoughts and pressures clouding your mind. By the end of your painting session you will have a beautiful, spontaneous abstract that you can frame right away or come back to later and continue on. Perhaps you see a hidden image in the piece and end up using other tools to define a face or landscape that emerges from your imagination. This is a great way to collaborate with someone on a piece, whether your child or another peer, just make sure you get their permission and creative input first!
The most surprising aspect of this technique is that what seems like puddles of color that visually appears to become brown or black is actually anything but! As each color is added, via eye dropper, the watercolor paper soaks it up and adds another layer of color. Once all the extra liquid is removed you will be amazed at what lays underneath.
If you do not have liquid watercolors on hand you can use diluted tempera or acrylic paints, although you may not receive the same effect. When doing this with a child it is a great opportunity to explain color theory and mixing!!
- 114098_2F2016-04-29-030856-fasthowto2.mp4 183 MB [ Download ]
- beadmommie added Eye Dropper Tutorial to Misc. Tutorials 10 Sep 15:05
- Sarah Sylvia S. favorited Eye Dropper Tutorial 18 Jul 01:52
- Marci F. favorited Eye Dropper Tutorial 12 Jul 05:21
- Minna O. favorited Eye Dropper Tutorial 10 May 05:23
- Dawn B. favorited Eye Dropper Tutorial 08 Feb 03:06
- LoupLou added Eye Dropper Tutorial to Journals 06 Feb 20:23
- LoupLou favorited Eye Dropper Tutorial 06 Feb 20:23
- Amanda V. favorited Eye Dropper Tutorial 06 Feb 03:08
- Donia G. favorited Eye Dropper Tutorial 02 Feb 00:59
- Melissa Beth favorited Eye Dropper Tutorial 21 Jan 10:38
Using painter's tape, secure your watercolor paper onto a firm, smooth surface. Not only will it prevent your paper from buckling but will create a lovely, professional looking border once removed.
Using the eye dropper begin to pick up color and drop it onto the paper however you like.
Sprinkle paint while still damp with sea salt to create a patterned / crackled effect. (Optional)