Britain's Best Bakery
Makes 1 tart
- Tracey H. favorited Egg Custard Tart 25 Jan 03:27
- Hilal Ã. added Egg Custard Tart to Food 10 Feb 10:01
- Rachael H. added Egg Custard Tart to Food 10 Jan 03:13
- Emma H. favorited Egg Custard Tart 15 Sep 19:12
- Kay Bay favorited Egg Custard Tart 11 Sep 08:12
- New Holland Publishers published her project Egg Custard Tart 20 Jun 11:03
Preheat the oven to 170C/340F/Gas mark 3..
In a food processor, blitz the flour and butter together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir the sugar through. Mix in as much of the whole egg and sufficient cold water as needed to form a dough – you may not need it all. Knead a little to combine. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until it's large enough to fit the base and sides of a 23 cm (9 in) diameter flan case. Scrunch up some baking paper, then unwrap it. Place on the pastry, then fill with baking beans. Blind bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden. Reduce the oven temperature to 110C/225F/Gas mark ..
Meanwhile, mix all the filling ingredients together, except for the nutmeg, in a large bowl. Leaving the baked flan case in the oven, remove the paper and baking beans and pour the filling into the case. Liberally sprinkle the surface with nutmeg, then
bake for 40–50 minutes. The tart is baked when there is a jelly-like wobble in the centre. Leave to cool and serve cold.