Turn an unwearable dress into your new favorite skirt!
Got a dress with a stain on the top? Or maybe it just doesn't fit the way you'd like? Here's a simple tutorial to turn that dress into a perfectly fitting elastic-waist skirt!
- Key West Witch favorited Dress To Skirt Refashion 12 Sep 12:29
- Dannielle M. favorited Dress To Skirt Refashion 12 Jul 03:54
- Rebecca C. favorited Dress To Skirt Refashion 17 Jul 03:35
- Carla B. favorited Dress To Skirt Refashion 14 Mar 20:27
- Susan F. favorited Dress To Skirt Refashion 25 Jan 04:06
- Stephanie F. favorited Dress To Skirt Refashion 20 Jan 05:51
- Barjaa B. added Dress To Skirt Refashion to DIYS 27 Jun 20:01
- meg B. favorited Dress To Skirt Refashion 24 Jun 22:43
- josie r. favorited Dress To Skirt Refashion 01 May 15:37
- Kerrie K. favorited Dress To Skirt Refashion 02 Feb 14:52
You're going to start by separating the top of your dress from the bottom - or skirt portion - of the dress. You can either use a seam ripper, if there is a separate waist seam, or simply use your scissors to cut the length of the skirt you want.
Measuer and cut your waistband elastic so that it circle your waist (wherever you want the skirt to sit), plus 1 inch seam allowance for sewing the elastic together.
Fold under the waist of your skirt at least 1.5 inches (to encase the elastic wiast band). Sew all the way around, leaving a 2 - 3 in gap so that you can thread the elastic through the waist you've just created.
Use a safety pin to thread the elastic through the waist you've created on the skirt. Make sure you don't lose the end of the elastic inside the waist of the skirt!
Sew the two ends of your elastic together with a nice, strong stitch. You can either overlap it and sew both raw edges or put the right sides together and sew a single straight stitch. It may help to pull the elastic out of your skirt waist a bit for this step.
Sew closed the 2 - 3 in gap you left in the waist so that the elastic is complete;y enclosed. Redistribute the skirt around the elastic so that the gathering is even, and you're done!
(*You may need to hem the skirt to your desired length, depending on how you cut it from the dress.)