The Hair Style Directory
This bun has a little secret... padding! Doughnut-shaped mesh padding adds a little oomph and turns your top knot into a statement—think of it like a push up bra for your hair. This style is also known as a sock bun. It takes its name from a DIY trick where you make your own padding with an old sock. Simply cut the toe section off the end of a sock so you are left with a tube. Roll the tube up into a doughnut shape and you have the perfect fit for your bun! You can also purchase hair padding in lots of shapes, sizes and colours from beauty retailers. With this hidden secret, everyone will think you have thick, long hair, so it’s a great look for those with fine or short hair.
IDEAL HAIR LENGTH
Medium to long
HAIR EXTENSIONS NEEDED?
Like the top knot bun, the doughnut bun loves an accessory. Tie scarves around the bun or add clips, hair slides, flowers
Try a low doughnut bun at the nape of your neck, or wear it to the side for an asymmetrical look.
- Carla B. added Doughnut Bun to Style my locks... 21 Jul 19:24
- Carla B. favorited Doughnut Bun 21 Jul 19:23
- Elena B. added Doughnut Bun to Donut Party 08 May 20:26
- Barjaa B. added Doughnut Bun to Hairstyles 27 Jun 17:33
- Pramodini Arela added Doughnut Bun to Celebrity Style 20 Jun 20:32
- Jegs S. added Doughnut Bun to The Devil Wears Prada 12 Apr 05:17
- Moriah M. added Doughnut Bun to Audrey Hepburn 24 Jan 23:07
- bittyandbunny added Doughnut Bun to Nicole Richie 18 Nov 19:07
- Sharleen G. added Doughnut Bun to Tinker Bell 11 Sep 01:28
- zjowies h. favorited Doughnut Bun 05 Apr 10:59
Finish with a spritz of hairspray to smooth any frizzy flyaways.
Keep your doughnut bun a little messy and natural looking, and no one will know you are hiding secret padding in there. Tease the ponytail first to add texture to the finished style and pull at a few sections of hair to keep it looking a little uneven. If you want to use a real sock, remember to wash it first. Pooh!