Simple yet classy design for a tee, tunic, or dress.
I love dolman style tops because they're easy to make and generally look great. The project is perfect for someone just starting to sew with knit fabrics as well as for intermediates and experts who want a quick project.
You will want a jersey knit. Using a woven fabric with no stretch will result in something either way too tight or far too loose.
You can use as little as one yard of fabric for this, depending on the desired length. I used one full yard to yield a minidress that falls to about my mid thigh.
Dolmans are exceptionally simple to take in if you make them too loose. They're also very versatile. Depending on the fabric you use, your dolman top can be casual, classy, or flirty.
Be sure to take three main measurements to keep in mind while making your dolman top: desired length (from shoulder to where you want it to fall), widest point (can be either bust or hips), and waist. Always measure twice and cut once!
- Sarah M. favorited Dolman Top 23 Apr 03:02
- duckduckpancake added Dolman Top to Easy Fashion 01 Nov 14:59
- Katy M. added Dolman Top to Try! 27 Oct 02:22
- Momoka added Dolman Top to shirts 24 Sep 20:38
- The13thBlackCat favorited Dolman Top 10 Jun 23:53
- artpanda18 favorited Dolman Top 12 Mar 18:15
- Monika Gottindottir entered their project Dolman Top to Secret Santa 05 Dec 23:39
- tiffanybsparks added Dolman Top to T-Shirt Surgery 13 Nov 20:21
- tiffanybsparks favorited Dolman Top 13 Nov 20:21
- pandanomz added Dolman Top to my list 08 Sep 14:22
Start by laying your fabric flat with the top, bottom, and side edges all lined up. Your fabric should be folded in half, or have two layers.
When your fabric has been laid out, put a comfortable knit top on top of the fabric to use as a pattern. (As you can see here, I used my first dolman top as a pattern so I could make a larger one.)