Super easy refashion from a jersey dress
- Glenda W. favorited Diy Jersey Maxi Skirt 07 Jun 01:07
- Marjorie D. added Diy Jersey Maxi Skirt to Sewing 12 May 03:02
- signe P. added Diy Jersey Maxi Skirt to tøj 07 Jul 13:25
- Sandra P. added Diy Jersey Maxi Skirt to Sewing projects 04 May 18:53
- Helen S. favorited Diy Jersey Maxi Skirt 12 Apr 17:55
- Didi D. added Diy Jersey Maxi Skirt to sewing 22 Mar 09:24
- Rochelle B. favorited Diy Jersey Maxi Skirt 02 Mar 20:34
- Portia published her project Diy Jersey Maxi Skirt 02 Sep 15:05
Encased Elastic Waistband:
1. If like me, you're refashioning a dress into a skirt, then start by cutting in a straight line, straight across, and remove the top portion.
2. Turn under and press a 5/8" hem, (stitch if you like but not necessary) then turn over again, according to the width of your elastic (mine was 1.5" wide) plus 2-3mm extra. Pin in place.
3. Stitch close to the inner edge, leaving approx 2" open/unstitched. I used a stretch stitch because I was working with jersey, If working with a woven fabric, a simple straight stitch will suffice.
4. Put your length of elastic around your waist. Stretch it around until it's under tension and feels like it would hold your skirt up, but still feels comfortable. Holding it in place with one hand, use a pen to mark on both ends, where you want to join the elastic.
9. Keep feeding the elastic through until it comes out the same place you started. Again making sure you don't twist it.
10. Line up the marks you made earlier
11. with the two ends of elastic overlapped, and the pen lines lined up, stitch and back stitch along these lines
12. Trim the excess elastic close to the stitching and then slip stitch or machine stitch that little opening closed; and it's done :)