Recycle an old pair of jeans while you're at it!
I had lost my pencil pouch so I decided to make a new one. I don't have much fabric so I came up with the idea of using denim from a old pair of jeans.
If there's anything that's unclear for you (Hopefully there aren't many complicated explanations, but this is my first how-to!), feel free to comment. ;)
- Oliver H. favorited Diy Denim Pencil Case 22 Jul 08:59
- Jessica M. added Diy Denim Pencil Case to Sewing 14 May 17:03
- Key West Witch favorited Diy Denim Pencil Case 02 Aug 13:55
- Tierra T. favorited Diy Denim Pencil Case 26 Oct 19:15
- Ana M. favorited Diy Denim Pencil Case 01 Jun 11:08
- Violet B. added Diy Denim Pencil Case to try later 27 Mar 23:06
- Ezni I. favorited Diy Denim Pencil Case 22 Mar 08:02
- Lara L. favorited Diy Denim Pencil Case 27 Feb 13:30
- Conn entered her project Diy Denim Pencil Case to Bug Bingo & DIY Board Games 28 Dec 22:50
- marilyn.steckly favorited Diy Denim Pencil Case 21 Apr 00:34
Take one denim rectangle and one rectangle of your lining fabric. First, put the denim on your work area so that the outside part (the darker side) faces up. Then grab your zipper and place it on top of the denim so that the two top edges match up. The flat bottom of the zipper head faces up. Next, take your lining rectangle and place it on top of your denim and zipper so that the non-patterned side faces up. You should end up with a sandwich with your zipper in the middle and the two patterned sides of the fabric faces each other. When you open your "sandwich", it should look like the picture.
Now sew all the layers together. Make sure that you're sewing as close to the zipper as you want (you don't have to sew just on the edge of the sandwich).
Repeat step 3 and 4, sewing the last two rectangles onto the other side of the zipper. Sandwich:
Denim - face up
Zipper - lined up to top edge of denim, flat bottom of the zipper head faces up
Lining fabric - design faces down
Make sure the end result looks like the picture (the lining fabric is under the denim).
Unzip your zipper. Then line up the fabric rectangles like in the picture (the denim rectangles face each other; ditto for the lining fabric). Sew on the black and white lines in the picture. Make sure that you leave a hole for the lining fabric (indicated by the red circle). You need the hole for turning whole thing inside out.