Create unique earrings with denim scraps!
Over the years, I have collected quite a pile of jeans- some were my parents', my boyfriend's, and my own. Denim is such a sturdy and classic fabric. Here is a tutorial to make earrings with denim. This would be a great project for denim scraps.
- GiftedDiva24 added Diy Denim Feather Earrings to Diy Jewelry 31 Oct 19:50
- GiftedDiva24 favorited Diy Denim Feather Earrings 31 Oct 19:50
- Brandy V. favorited Diy Denim Feather Earrings 30 Mar 18:09
- thecrazycat_ReiD added Diy Denim Feather Earrings to projects 25 Nov 10:46
- Wendy S. favorited Diy Denim Feather Earrings 13 Nov 00:11
- Amanda T. favorited Diy Denim Feather Earrings 20 Sep 21:29
- Nancy! added Diy Denim Feather Earrings to été 17 Aug 15:47
- greenstyle added Diy Denim Feather Earrings to Jewellry 20 Jul 17:10
- Uga P. added Diy Denim Feather Earrings to Norah Jones 17 Jun 08:37
- Shari B. added Diy Denim Feather Earrings to stuff to make my way 03 Jun 12:22
1. Gather your materials: denim, scissors, pliers, a grommet kit, hammer, flathead jewelry pins, some beads (I used faux pearls), jump rings with matching chain, and earring hooks.
2. Cut a piece of denim, large enough to fit both feather pieces you will cut out.
3. I drew a feather shape with a water-soluble pencil on the backside of the fabric.
4. Cut out two feather pieces. If they aren't exactly identical, it's not a big deal because you will be fringing them later.
5. I looked at a seagull feather, and noticed that feather barbs are angled down towards the center. Make small cuts down each side, making sure to not touch the spine line you drew.
6. After you have fringed your denim, stretch it length-wise to slightly curl the feather.
7. Make a small hole in the end of the feather, and place a grommet in the hole. (This way your earring won't tear apart.
8. Use a grommet kit (usually comes with the grommets at Michael's) to secure the grommet.
9. Place your anvil on a counter or table, then the denim feather right side up, and the grommet in the hole with the sharp-side down. Hammer the setting tool on top of this setup. (This will curl all the sharp edges down on the grommet.)
10. Attach a jump ring through your grommet, along with some chain and your earring hook.
11. At the end of the chain, I attached a pearl bead on a flathead jewelry pin.