A cute and fun pattern for a modern baby blanket
I made this sweet little blanket for my cousin who was expecting back in December. She loved it and so did everyone else. It's the most viewed pattern of mine and it's absolutely free!
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
hdc – half double crochet
dc – double crochet
sk – skip
st – stitch
3 skeins each of worsted weight yarn in 3 different colors, 9 skeins in total. I used Lion Brand Cotton-Ease(Affiliate link) in Snow, Seaspray, and Stone
Size J (6mm) Crochet hook
Tapestry needle for weaving ends
16 stitches=5 inches and 10 rows=5 inches
- Katherine V. favorited Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket 05 Mar 00:57
- Pimke added Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket to Häckelmuster 21 Jan 20:46
- Karen D. favorited Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket 10 Jan 02:16
- Hayley favorited Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket 20 Nov 00:57
- Naomi V. favorited Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket 03 Nov 23:22
- Beverly G. favorited Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket 27 Sep 18:27
- Ms. Impatient added Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket to Crochet Baby Blankets 18 Aug 20:19
- Christine L. favorited Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket 10 Aug 21:44
- Ella Light added Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket to Baby Making 10 Aug 17:25
- quinnster favorited Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Blanket 03 Aug 00:57
With first color, Ch 133.
Row 1: 2 dc in 4th ch from hook. *Skip 2 chs, 1 sc, sk 2 chs, 5 dc in next ch* Repeat * until you have 3 chs left. Sk 2 chs, sc in last ch. (Now you have an option to change colors or do what I did and crochet 3 rows with the first color before switching to next color).
Row 2: Ch 3, turn. 2 dc in the same st. *sk 2 dc, sc in next st, sk 2 dc, 5 dc into sc from previous row* Repeat * until the end of the row. Sc in the turning ch of the previous row.
Repeat row 2 until you have the desired length for your blanket (I crocheted a total of 69 rows, alternating colors)
When finished with last row, fasten off.
(Note: I’m going for a two-tone trim. If you want to stick with one color, don’t fasten off. Proceed to step 2 of trim.)
Join trim color in any one of the stitches (I used Seaspray).
Ch 2. Hdc evenly around the blanket making sure to crochet 3 hdc in each corner.
Join in beginning hdc.
(Note: If you are using the same color as the trim for the mini shell edging, ch2 and go to step 2 of edging.)
Mini Shell Edging:
Join next color into a corner of the blanket. Ch 2.
4 hdc in same st. *Sk 1 st. sc in next st. sk 1 st. 4 hdc in next st*
Repeat * around blanket
Sl st into the beginning ch 2
Fasten off and weave ends
Finished blanket measures approximately 35″ x 35″ including edging.