Crochet Learn It. Love It.
Guest Designer : Leonie Morgan
I’m a crochet addict with a large yarn stash and more crochet blankets than I’ll ever need! I love designing with colour. I prefer Aran or DK yarn and a nice big hook, and just love motifs and blocks. Whatever I’m designing, the colour choice is the exciting bit. I enjoy the process of designing, from initial fumblings with scrap yarn to picking colours and writing patterns. My hands hate to be idle, so I always have a hook and yarn in my bag ready to whip up some crochet loveliness. You can see more of my work at www.leoniemorgan.com.
This pattern is designed to use up scraps of yarn, applying the join-as-you-go method to keep adding motifs to the blanket until you reach the size you want. Each flower is worked in random colours from a 10-colour yarn palette. Including one or two neutrals in the palette will help to make the bright colours really pop.
89 x 112cm (35 x 44in)
Each flower motif measures 7.5 x 7.5cm (3 x 3in)
• A magic ring is used to start the motif because it creates a closed, solid centre to mimic the eye of a real flower.
• A ch-3 space is worked at each petal tip, providing shape to the petals and a convenient place to join the motifs with slip stitches.
• Where four flowers join together, three of the flowers are joined to the remaining flower. You can vary this joining arrangement if you wish, but try to be consistent for neatness.
• Surface crochet is used to frame the eye of the flower. A contrasting colour will give the best impact.
- 2019-01-08-114942-Flower+blanket+REV1.eps 787 KB [ Download ]
- 2019-01-08-114946-Flower-blanket-REV1.png 415 KB [ Download ]
- Lotusburger favorited Crochet Flower Blanket 11 Jan 11:35
- Judith Y. favorited Crochet Flower Blanket 19 Feb 10:52
- Key West Witch favorited Crochet Flower Blanket 23 Aug 00:03
- Crystal added Crochet Flower Blanket to Yarn Crafts 18 May 16:22
- Joani T. favorited Crochet Flower Blanket 25 Jan 09:54
- Teffanie Lewis N. favorited Crochet Flower Blanket 21 Jan 00:05
- Crafterella featured Crochet Flower Blanket 20 Jan 23:00
- taylor t. favorited Crochet Flower Blanket 18 Jan 08:46
- charlie a. favorited Crochet Flower Blanket 17 Jan 08:51
- Search Press published her project Crochet Flower Blanket 14 Jan 09:00
Foundation ring: Using first colour, make a magic ring.
Round 1: Ch 1, 8 dc into ring, join with sl st to first dc. (8 dc)
Change to second colour.
Round 2: *Ch 3, 1 tr in same place, (1 tr, ch 3, sl st) in next dc, sl st in next dc; rep from * 3 times more ending sl st into base of beg ch-3. (8 ch-3, 8 tr)
Round 3: *Ch 3, 3 tr in next tr, ch 3 (petal tip made), 3 tr in next tr, ch 3, sl st into each of next 2 sl st; rep from * 3 times more. (24 tr)
Surface crochet: With a contrasting colour, sl st into each dc on round 1.
All remaining flowers
Follow flower 1 instructions as far as the end of round 2.
Round 3 (joining round): *Ch 3, 3 tr in next tr; when joining to another flower work (ch 1, sl st into ch-3 petal tip of adjoining flower, ch 1); if not joining to another flower work ch 3; then work 3 tr in next tr, sl st into each of next 2 sl st; rep from * 3 times more.
Add surface crochet as for flower 1.
To make the blanket, join flowers in 20 rows of 14 flowers.
Second row of flowers
First row of flowers
How do you join motifs using the join-as-you-go slip stitch method?
Work round 3 of the flower as far as the petal tip. Instead of working the usual ch 3, work ch 1 and then insert the hook into the ch-3 space at the tip of the adjoining flower petal. Work a slip stitch in this space to join the flowers, then finish with ch 1.