Sew a comfy floor cushion.
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY 2 SIZE
Diameter 50cm (193/4in), height 20cm (73/4in)
Fabric A (QAH2400-ZINNI), 55cm × 55cm (213/4in × 213/4in)
Fabric B (QAH2600-CHOCO), 55cm × 55cm (213/4in × 213/4in)
Or just one of these fabrics if you prefer, 55cm (213/4in) (top and bottom the same)
Fabric C (QVM1600-GRAPE), 50cm (193/4in) Iron-on fleece interfacing for reinforcing all
of the pattern pieces
Zip fastener, 60cm (231/2in), e.g. Opti S40, natural, colour 0089
Red sewing thread, e.g. Coats Cotton number 50, colour 7810
For the filling:
Styropor granules (Rayher, 3–5mm [1/4in]), 0.9–1kg (2lb), equivalent to approximately 45–50 litres
Light cotton fabric for the inner cushion
SEAM AND HEM ALLOWANCES
For all seams and edges 1cm (1/2in) (already included).
© 2021 Laura Wilhelm / Search Press · Reproduced with permission.
- San added Comfortable Floor Cushion to Sleep Over 01 May 17:51
- Susan D added Comfortable Floor Cushion to Scheherazade's room in 1001 Arabian Nights 01 Apr 18:47
- Julie K. favorited Comfortable Floor Cushion 26 Oct 13:00
- pandanomz favorited Comfortable Floor Cushion 08 Sep 19:05
- marilyn.steckly favorited Comfortable Floor Cushion 21 Apr 13:35
- ELLEN B. favorited Comfortable Floor Cushion 01 Feb 19:29
- Munnazah C. added Comfortable Floor Cushion to Sew, sew, sew! 29 Dec 13:40
- Munnazah C. favorited Comfortable Floor Cushion 29 Dec 13:40
- Alecia B. favorited Comfortable Floor Cushion 01 Aug 16:35
- Mai added Comfortable Floor Cushion to House Stuffs 21 Jan 00:57
Cut out all pieces according to the instructions, reinforce with fleece interfacing and neaten around the edges using zigzag stitch.
Place both side pieces 2 together, right sides facing. Tack along one long side and sew together, securing the seam after 10.5cm (41/4in) with three to four backstitches (sew a bar tack). Set to a larger stitch width (e.g. 4mm [1/4in]) and sew again. After 60cm (231/2in) (10.5cm [41/4in] before the raw edge), adjust the stitch width back again and make a second bar tack. Sew the seam using normal stitch length. Iron the seam allowance flat on the reverse.
Place the zip fastener on the ironed seam with the reverse side uppermost and tack in place by hand. Undo the seam between the two bar tacks. Sew in the zip fastener from the right side using the zipper foot 7mm (3/8in) from the seam edge. Remove the tacking threads.
Sew together the side pieces (1 + 2) to form a ring: lay the short edges on top of one another, right sides together, tack both seams and sew. Iron the seam allowances flat.
Tack the side piece to the top piece, right sides together, and sew in place. The sewing will be most accurate when the top piece is lying flat against the sewing machine table, wrong side down, and the side piece is on top, right sides together. This is the best way to ensure that the pieces stay flat when sewn together. Iron the seam allowances flat. Open the zip fastener a little and sew the other side to the bottom piece in the same way. Turn the cushion right side out.