prime minister of the cult of personality
these sock monkeys are easy and fun to make. once you get the hang of them you can whip them up without any pattern and make more animal shapes.
the instructions I use are included in each pair of red heel socks. it is essential to the project to get the real socks- the results from other socks aren't nearly as sturdy.
I will add more pictures later - the days are short now and it is hard to get a good one.
- Key West Witch favorited Classic Sock Monkey 05 May 07:35
- Amanda M. entered her project Classic Sock Monkey to Singer Christmas Contest 10 Nov 22:41
- Carlee T. favorited Classic Sock Monkey 21 Dec 15:38
- janet.day.129 added Classic Sock Monkey to someday 07 Dec 03:55
- Amanda M. entered her project Classic Sock Monkey to Secret Santa 02 Dec 20:11
- Nobody Special added Classic Sock Monkey to Cool Stuff 27 Nov 07:15
- Nobody Special favorited Classic Sock Monkey 27 Nov 07:15
- Nobody Special commented on Classic Sock Monkey 27 Nov 07:15
- Samantha C. favorited Classic Sock Monkey 26 Nov 02:57
- Amanda M. entered her project Classic Sock Monkey to Wander & Hunt 25 Nov 02:59
first you need to aquire your red heel socks - I get mine from Fleet Farm but you can also order them direct from the manufacturer.
this is a classic American craft and uses American-made products. a tradition you can feel good about!
as I mentioned, the pattern that comes with the socks is what you will use- I will just put in a couple tips
stuff and hand sew your monkey parts together. my kids like their sock monkeys really firm but I make ones for other kids softer. if you are using safety eyes put them in before stuffing.
when sewing on the muzzle, baste it on first with the raw edge rolled under, then sew it securely catching all three layers of fabric.
I prefer buttons and eyelashes. embroider a nostril or two if you wish. the hand sewing is what gives your monkey personality.