Braids, Buns, and Twists!
This is the most chic updo to come out of the 1960s. The beauty of this timeless classic is its stylish versatility. Perfect for a black-tie soirée or an important event, but also a great choice for work, this style’s got it covered. Of course, the bouffant is best suited to the vintage ’60s look, so think pencil skirts, simple straight dresses and beautiful earrings. Also known as the beehive, this style originated in the 1950s and became iconic in the 1960s. Celebrities, notably Brigitte Bardot, favoured the beehive style and made it extremely popular in the United States, where it was commonly styled using a fork!
IDEAL HAIR LENGTH
Medium to long
HAIR EXTENSIONS NEEDED?
Yes, the more hair the better
for this style.
A wide satin headband is the perfect hair accessory to finish off the front of your bouffant. For an evening look, add a tiara!
Leave this style relaxed and messy, with lots of volume at the top. You can modernise the bouffant with subtle volume, or wear your hair half down.
- Beth E. favorited Classic 1960s Bouffant 02 Jan 07:37
- Markee R. added Classic 1960s Bouffant to Tippi Hedren - The Birds 02 Oct 14:14
- Jeff S. favorited Classic 1960s Bouffant 07 Sep 06:19
- Alecia B. favorited Classic 1960s Bouffant 21 Aug 05:50
- Emma H. favorited Classic 1960s Bouffant 17 Jul 11:51
- CraftyCat added Classic 1960s Bouffant to Fashion 14 Jul 04:03
- CraftyCat favorited Classic 1960s Bouffant 14 Jul 04:03
- Aurum Press published her project Classic 1960s Bouffant 12 Jul 06:00
Pin back the sides of your hair and make sure the top of your bouffant is smooth. If you have a fringe, you can leave it loose or pin it back by your ear. Finish with lots of hairspray, just like they did in the 1960s. This will help your bouffant last all day and all night!
To achieve huge volume in the bouffant, you’ll need to use product on your hair to add structure and hold. If you have fine or soft hair, apply a volumising mousse and use a blowdryer to set it into your hair. If your bouffant isn’t holding, just keep backcombing and use more hairspray!