A week or so ago, I did a how to on a DKNY Bag I saw on Net-a-Porter (http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/dkny-inspired-bag).
For the bag I used a tartan fleece type of fabric and denim. Tartan is in this fall season and capes are too. Since I had a whole unused bolt of this fabric, I decided to put it to use a bit more by making a matching cape.
After looking at tons of pictures of capes from various high end online retailers, I came up with this. It's very easy to make.And, I hope you guys enjoy making it.
I look forward to seeing all of your amazing versions!!
well...let's get started!!
- Key West Witch added Chic Fall Cape to Capes and Cloaks 30 Jun 13:30
- Lara L. favorited Chic Fall Cape 28 Feb 16:04
- RareJewel added Chic Fall Cape to Lucy Liu 30 Nov 08:04
- RareJewel added Chic Fall Cape to Lucy Liu 30 Nov 07:59
- dansenmasheen favorited Chic Fall Cape 30 Oct 23:47
- Jenna R. added Chic Fall Cape to Tavi Gevinson 12 Jul 09:29
- cindy.bledsoe.12 favorited Chic Fall Cape 29 Jun 08:12
- Aurelie L. added Chic Fall Cape to Manteau/Vest 13 Mar 16:21
- Shelynn T. favorited Chic Fall Cape 14 Jan 22:36
- arina m. favorited Chic Fall Cape 08 Jan 12:21
Try your cape on and mark where you want the belt hole to go. Your belt will go through one side and out the other
Create 3 1/4" long slits for the belt.
I used the button hole feature on my sewing machine to create the belt holes.
If you have a buttonhole feature on your machine, use it to create the belt holes.
Create the holes for the belt in front first. Then, use the front holes as guides to create belt holes for the back
For a more professional finish, we'll attach the collar with a french seam (don't panic it's really easy)
Pin the collar on wrong sides together. As you pin create small pleats until the collar lines up with the neckline end to end. It helps pin the end first and work your way to the middle.
Sew using a 1/4" seam allowance
Now, fold the collar back so the right sides are together. Pin and sew using a 1/2" seam allowance.
Top stitch the seam allowance down to the inside of the cape.