A childhood favorite begging for booze, this adult take on a caramel apple is basically healthy since we’re making it with fruit juice and nuts.
Makes 48 mini cupcakes
You Will Need
TO MAKE THE CAKE
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line mini cupcake tine with paper liners.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg and sour cream.
3. In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
4. Combine apple cider and butter in a saucepan and heat until butter melts.
5. Remove from heat. While the mixer is running, slowly pour the hot cider/ butter mixture into the mixing bowl. Beat until incorporated.
6. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until incorporated.
7. Fill cupcake tins two-thirds full.
8. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool on cooling rack.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING
1. With an electric mixer, beat the butter with the paddle attachment until fluffy.
2. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add confectioners’ sugar until incorporated.
3. Slowly stream in applejack brandy and beat until smooth and fluffy, with no lumps or air bubbles.
4. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag.
TO MAKE THE GARNISH
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Spread the almonds on a sheet pan and toast for 4–5 minutes or until tan in color.
3. Allow almonds to cool and then grind them in a food processer or coffee grinder.
4. Transfer almonds to an airtight container until cupcakes are ready to be garnished.
1. When cupcakes are cool, core each cupcake with a mall pastry tip. If you don’t have a pastry tip, poke a hole in the middle of the cupcake with a narrow-bladed knife (a steak knife would do).
2. Fill the cavity with applejack Caramel Sauce, taking care not to let it overflow.
3. Frost to your liking.
4. Sprinkle with crushed almonds.