A cute autumn sweater with a top down raglan construction, worked flat in one piece.
SIZE - written for M (bust 36-38"), but easily adaptable to any size (notes in pattern).
YARN (MC) - Debbie Bliss Merino Chunky (100% superwash wool), 9 balls.
NEEDLES - 5.5mm circ (worked flat)
Button bands are worked into the knitting in garter stitch, not picked up afterwards. Because of this the sides of the knitting form edges of garment so slipping first stitch on every row gives a neater edge. Also, when you come to start a new ball of yarn, knit the first 6 stitches of every row with the old ball first.
The sections are arranged and worked as foll: front left (narrower, with buttons), sleeve, back, sleeve, front right (wider, with buttonholes).
Increases used are as foll: Pick up bar between current and next stitch and knit into the back of it.
To resize simply cast on more or fewer stitches and keep trying on to gauge fit.
- marie w. added Buttony Sweater to Autumn 2018 19 Sep 09:50
- Emma H. favorited Buttony Sweater 21 Sep 20:57
- Dreamingofrain favorited Buttony Sweater 04 Jul 17:00
- samjane added Buttony Sweater to 10ten10 23 May 02:53
- Miss Captain Cosplay favorited Buttony Sweater 22 Apr 09:11
- Alma added Buttony Sweater to Recycling T-shirts 30 Dec 11:36
- Kay T. favorited Buttony Sweater 12 Nov 19:31
- Sveta favorited Buttony Sweater 19 Oct 05:26
- ShortHairedGirl favorited Buttony Sweater 25 Aug 19:43
- RareJewel favorited Buttony Sweater 22 Jun 00:05
CO 96 sts
Row 1: Slip 1, K 5, work in 2 x 2 rib to last 6 sts, K 6
Work this row 5 times more.
Row 7: (RS) Slip 1, K 5, pm, K 13, pm, K 32, pm, K 13, pm, K to end
Row 8: (WS) Slip 1, K5, P to last 6 sts, K6
Row 9: Slip 1, (K to within 1 st of marker, M1, K2, M1) to end
Row 10: as row 8
Every 10th row (RS) work a buttonhole as folls: Work as Row 9 to last 6 sts, K3, yo, k2tog, K to end
Rep rows 9-10 until the sweater fits around the chest and under arms (to try, put front, back and sleeves on separate holders or waste yarn).
Knit left front, back and right front onto one needle and work flat and even (keeping garter st border and buttonholes correct) until you've made 10 buttonholes (work should meas about 14" from underarm). You can add some waist shaping into the sides if you like a snugger fit. Work in 2x2 rib for 4", keeping garter st edge correct and adding two more buttonholes. BO loosely.
Knit sleeves in round, decreasing 2 sts (k2tog, k2, ssk) at underarm seam every 8 rows. finish off with 4" of 2x2 rib and BO.
Block and sew on 12 large buttons.