Use this to store keepsakes or even for everyday organization!
I bought this hard bound, vintage-esque book at my local second hand bookstore awhile back for about 80 cents and I've been using it as a purely decorative piece on my nightstand. But I'm always looking for ways to make things more functional so I decided to turn this into one of those secret compartment books. This project requires a lot of time and elbow grease. It took me about 4 hours to gut out this book which is about 200 pages and a day later my thumb is still sore! But I did it all in one sitting and was really pushing to finish this so I could blog and share it with you all. Take your time, it'll be kinder on your hands and the results will be worth it.
- Trisha J. favorited Book With A Secret Compartment 28 May 09:49
- meg B. favorited Book With A Secret Compartment 25 Jun 15:42
- The Sunday Project replied to a comment on her project Book With A Secret Compartment 17 Dec 02:37
- Eminem commented on Book With A Secret Compartment 15 Dec 01:40
- rouge s. favorited Book With A Secret Compartment 04 Dec 23:10
- Rachael H. added Book With A Secret Compartment to Books/Journals 30 Nov 16:20
- nikki L. favorited Book With A Secret Compartment 24 Nov 01:48
- gettothepoint added Book With A Secret Compartment to CRAFT ideas 16 Nov 23:37
- Mariah E. favorited Book With A Secret Compartment 14 Nov 22:39
- Samantha C. favorited Book With A Secret Compartment 12 Nov 18:30
Then, take some plastic wrap (don't use newspaper like I did here, you'll see why later) and separate the pages you haven't glued down and the cover of your book. Put something heavy on it for 30 minutes to an hour, just until the glue dries and then apply another coat of glue. I did three coats all in all.
Taking a page from the section that isn't glued down (page 9), make a margin on where you want to hallow out your book. Cut out that top page and flip to the next page, using a box cutter, start cutting out your secret compartment. This way, if you make a mistake or rip the paper, you have an extra sheet to cover up any mistakes that might happen.