Blueberry Walnut Lavender Scones
Posted by Little, Brown and Company
Scones are the b**tard blend of a biscuit and muffin. They sound so wrong but taste so right.
MAKES ABOUT 12 SCONES. BEST SERVED THE DAY THEY ARE MADE.
You Will Need (11 things)
- 2 ¾ cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 3 tbsp White Sugar , plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Refined Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Dried Lavender *
- 1 ¼ cup Plain Almond Milk , plus more for brushing
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup Fresh or frozen Blueberries
- ½ cup Chopped Walnuts
Steps (4 steps, 45 minutes)
Crank your oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugars, and salt. Cut the oil into the flour using your hands until it all looks kind of grainy and there are no large chunks left. Stir in the motherf**king lavender.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the almond milk and vanilla. Mix it together until it is almost all the way combined but stop short. Fold in the berries and walnuts but be careful not to overmix.
Scoop out the dough in 1/2-cup measurements and plop onto the baking sheet. Brush with almond milk and sprinkle with white sugar. Bake until they look a little golden around on the bottom, 12 to 15 minutes.
* Can't find dried lavender? Don't trek all over town. Just leave it out and add an extra 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. We just wanted to give you a chance to be extra fancy.