this flavor packed chili could do no harm!
•10” chef’s knife
1. Pick over the black beans, then soak them in 8 cups of water for 6 to 8 hours. Drain them and cook in 8 cups of water until tender, about 1 hour. Drain, reserving all the cooking liquid.
2. In a large skillet, sauté the onion in the oil until soft. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery; sauté 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and jalapeno peppers; sauté 3 to 5 minutes longer.
3. Combine the sautéed vegetables and cooked beans in a large pot. Add the herbs, spices, salt, lemon juice and chocolate. Pour in about 1 1/2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid or as needed to keep the chili loose. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. As the chili simmers, place the pumpkin seeds in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Dry-toast them, stirring and tossing until the seeds glisten and begin to brown. Sprinkle a few drops of soy sauce on them and allow them to cool.
5. Serve in bowls with the pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top. Add sour cream and/or grated cheese, if desired.