Stacie Bakes: Classic Cakes and Bakes for the Thoroughly Modern Cook
A rich, moist cake. It’s an unusual method, but trust me: you won’t be disappointed. The large amount of sugar is necessary to counterbalance the bitterness of the Guinness, so don’t be tempted to cut it down. The classic cream cheese frosting cuts the richness of the cake beautifully. Chocolate buttercream is also fantastic with this.
Makes 1 x 20cm/8in round cake
- Kimya J. favorited Beehive Black Cake 15 Jun 21:55
- Alecia B. favorited Beehive Black Cake 23 Aug 06:19
- Emma H. favorited Beehive Black Cake 18 May 12:08
- Shantelle t. added Beehive Black Cake to food!! 08 Dec 14:34
- Rikki L. favorited Beehive Black Cake 07 Oct 12:48
- Miss Monstro favorited Beehive Black Cake 13 Aug 12:33
- Misato M. favorited Beehive Black Cake 11 Jul 14:54
- Kaiulani W. favorited Beehive Black Cake 10 Jul 01:40
- Grimgirl101 favorited Beehive Black Cake 20 Jun 22:14
- Sara E. favorited Beehive Black Cake 20 May 20:16
You Will Need
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease a 20cm/8in diameter tin and line with baking parchment.
Put the Guinness, sugar, cocoa and butter in a pan over a low heat and stir gently until the butter has melted. Leave to cool slightly.
In a large bowl or food mixer, beat the eggs with the buttermilk and vanilla, then add the Guinness mixture, beating until combined.
Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt together. Add the flour mixture to the Guinness mixture in 3 stages, stirring gently after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix to make sure everything is evenly combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin; it’ll be really runny. Bake for 45 minutes, until a knife or skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely before decorating.
To make the frosting, beat the butter until softened. Add the soft cheese and beat gently, then add the vanilla and icing sugar and beat until thick and creamy. Spread over the top and sides of the cake and dust with cocoa.