A Japanese-style bead hair stick
Here's how to make a tama - a hair stick with a large bead on it, like the ones worn by apprentice geishas. Traditionally these come in two colours, red and green, with red being worn from October to May, and green from June to September.
- Key West Witch added Beaded Hair Stick to Hair bands, sticks, ties ... 19 Mar 13:58
- Kaitlynn L. favorited Beaded Hair Stick 01 Sep 14:00
- Momoka added Beaded Hair Stick to accessories 02 Sep 21:48
- Karen D. favorited Beaded Hair Stick 18 Aug 05:29
- Jackie G. added Beaded Hair Stick to Head Bands 09 Jul 16:12
- Juliet S. favorited Beaded Hair Stick 09 Jan 18:14
- Gretchen M. favorited Beaded Hair Stick 06 Jan 19:24
- Emma H. favorited Beaded Hair Stick 03 Jan 20:54
- emusing-emma published her project Beaded Hair Stick 26 Aug 18:13
Cut a wooden kebab skewer to between 15 and 20cm, depending on how long you would like it, measuring from the pointy end so you are keeping the point (I use jewellery snips to do this, but strong kitchen scissors would work).
Sand the cut end
Poke the sharp end of the kebab skewer in this to make a hole, but don’t go all the way through. Bake the clay.
Paint the skewer black