- kelly s. favorited Autumn Apple And Hazelnut Layer Cake 28 Feb 10:37
- ElizabethJuddTaylor favorited Autumn Apple And Hazelnut Layer Cake 19 Jan 17:33
- Emma H. favorited Autumn Apple And Hazelnut Layer Cake 19 Jan 15:39
- Emily S. favorited Autumn Apple And Hazelnut Layer Cake 15 Jan 04:16
- Kelsey G. favorited Autumn Apple And Hazelnut Layer Cake 13 Jan 15:36
- Quadrille published her project Autumn Apple And Hazelnut Layer Cake 03 Nov 16:31
You Will Need
Perfect for when there are cobnuts or hazelnuts to be picked. I have made this cake for many autumn weddings, adding a marzipan wrapping and decorating with Marzipan roses and wild flowers. It looks really fresh and is easy to do.
Bake the cake the day before you want it, or it is too difficult to cut. Take a 24cm square or a 26cm round cake tin, line the base with baking parchment and butter it lightly. Preheat the oven to 180ÅãC/350ÅãF/gas mark 4.
Beat the eggs and sugar together with an electric whisk until light and fluffy; they should double or triple in volume and turn pale. Sift the flour and baking powder into the egg mixture and gently fold it in. Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the hot oven for 25 minutes. Check with a skewer if it is baked all the way through; it should emerge clean from the centre of the cake. Remove from
the oven and leave on a wire rack to cool down, before removing from the tin. Leave overnight.
For the filling, peel and core the apples and grate them coarsely. Whip the cream until it billows and chop the nuts finely. Mix them all together.
Cut the cake in three horizontally with a serrated knife. Choose a serving dish and place the base layer of cake on it. Sprinkle with half the calvados. Spread one-half of the cream evenly over and place on the middle layer. Sprinkle with the remaining calvados, spread over the remaining cream, then place on the
top layer. Sift over a dusting of icing sugar and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
Leave for 30 minutes to settle before serving.