A healthy holiday treat that tastes like it's anything but
My dad is a notoriously difficult person to shop for. But, growing up, a box of Turtles was guaranteed to be a hit at Christmas. I haven’t eaten one of these ooey gooey treats in years, but for some reason they popped into my head while I was snacking on a medjool date and thinking about how caramely it was. Of course, it seemed so obvious! A whole foods, vegan version of this holiday favourite would be so easy to whip up. I daydreamed about them for a couple of weeks before finally giving the idea a try. I’m so glad I did, because they’re just as ooey gooey and delicious as I imagined.
- Pimke added 3 Ingredient Vegan Turtles to Essen 27 Jan 08:22
- Megan B. favorited 3 Ingredient Vegan Turtles 12 Jan 02:35
- Moroso favorited 3 Ingredient Vegan Turtles 11 Jan 21:36
- dollpies favorited 3 Ingredient Vegan Turtles 05 Jan 03:48
- Kitty favorited 3 Ingredient Vegan Turtles 03 Jan 22:19
- KelliDroze added 3 Ingredient Vegan Turtles to Sweet 03 Jan 07:38
- Jenn M. favorited 3 Ingredient Vegan Turtles 02 Jan 21:42
- Anna S. favorited 3 Ingredient Vegan Turtles 02 Jan 13:20
- Sarah L. published her project 3 Ingredient Vegan Turtles 15 Dec 20:16
Stuff 1-2 pecans into each date (first photo) and then wrap the date shut around them.
Over a double boiler melt chocolate and coconut oil. Turn off heat but keep chocolate over water so it doesn’t start to harden.
Using a fork, dip stuffed date into chocolate and then allow extra chocolate to run off. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat until all of the dates are smothered in chocolate.
If desired, sprinkle turtles with a teeny pinch of sea salt.
Chill in freezer until chocolate sets, at least one hour.