Celebrated on November 1 and 2, Day of the Dead honors the memory of departed souls, welcoming them back to celebrate the best of life. Families decorate grave sites with marigolds and set up stunning altars. Streets flutter with paper banners. Store windows glisten with sugar skulls. Skeleton figures grin rakishly from every corner. Day of the Dead Crafts is filled with dozens of terrific projects that allow you to participate in the excitement of the holiday while expressing your own creativity. You'll enjoy showcasing these unique, fun, and meaningful projects throughout the year.
Inside you'll find step-by-step instructions, ideas, and inspiration for a wide range of projects, including:
- Calaveras, those comical and clever skeleton figures caught in the act of enjoying life's favorite activities
- Masks and skulls made from paper mache, gourds, and even sugar
- A meaningful and artistic ofrenda, or altar, to honor those who have passed
- Necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and more to wear day or night
- Pieces guaranteed to liven up any decor
Colorful, whimsical, and often dramatic, Day of the Dead art is steeped in rich history and symbolism. The projects in Day of the Dead Crafts honor the traditional, while taking advantage of today's materials for a fresh and exciting twist.