My Candor?

59 replies since 31st March 2010 • Last reply 31st March 2010

HAHAHA! Yeah, I know, right? And I'm not sure how I took that, it just seemed like I needed to defend myself a little bit, but it's all good.
And thanx Tara, because of this and flakers, I'm about ready to be done with swaps altogether myself, which is unfortunate because they are so much fun, "some" of the time.

Edit Delete
Moderate: Hide this post

that is very sad cause i enjoy swapping with you creative =(

Edit Delete

oh no you don't!!!! Dont worry Trish there are enough of us that aren't flakers that will keep supporting you! Happy

Edit Delete

I haven't done any swaps but the way I see this situation is that everyone has different expectations and when they are not met it can be upsetting. Not to take anything from the efforts of people who have tried to make something for someone that they will enjoy. There are loads of situations in life that are like this. How many of us have had a nice big pressie under the xmas tree from our other half wondering if it's a nice new coat we have hinted at only to find it's a new set of cooking pans on xmas day? This is by no way a critique just a mere observation as an outsider of the swaps. Hope you all take it in the spirit of friendliness as is intended Happy

Edit Delete

Seems dead on Sheila. I wish we could have swap raitings on our profiles like on Craftster. That is the only think I like about that site.

And LOL on the cooking pans. I got a cookbook, and a makeup kit. I was like are you trying to say something?!

Edit Delete

Gotcha Sheila, the goodies I get are great, it's the flakers that I have a problem with. They join a swap, get partnered, then they're are MIA after their partner has sent their swap. It's not nice and it's not fair. I joined swap-bot and noticed that they don't take kindly to flakers. I'm in my first swap there and hope it goes well cuz I've also heard that they can be pretty crude when it comes to rating your swap.
If there was some way we could weed out the flakers here, rate them, put them on a notice list to swap hosts, something, then that would be great! I don't think they (Tom and the others) will though cuz this site is not about rating each others creations, but it would be nice to have some rules of some types when it comes to the swaps. I guess though that would be too much of a monitoring thing on their part unless somehow we can set up a thread for swappers who get flaked on can post the situation and for swap host to be able to check for flakers to be able to allow or "not" allow them in their swap(s). Just a thought, because it's frustrating to put a lot of time, work and money (well maybe not quite so much but it is a factor) into sending somebody something, expecting something in return only to not get it. That's my biggest issue with swaps. So who goes for that idea?

Edit Delete

Totally agree that it's not fair not to receive swaps. Not sure how to weed out flakers as you have to be 'flaked' to find out who they are Happy Maybe the swap host could keep a list of people who have gone MIA so they can decide whether or not to allow someone into the swap. Although sometimes there are circumstances beyond control so these should be considered. It's a really difficult as no matter how approach it could be viewed in the wrong way. I would love to join a swap but these sort of things put me off a bit. A flakers list may work by shaming individuals that don't keep to the spirit of swaps.

@Tara.....this year it was a cast iron cooking pot, but I liked that coz it's going with me to Pagan camp Lol Happy
I thought I was getting a new helmet for riding out on the Harley!

Edit Delete

I'll agree with you Trish! I've had a couple of flakers here (these are my first experiences with swaps) and it's almost hurtful that you make all this great stuff and your partner disappears! I've had that and a personal swap that I sent stuff and the person STILL hasn't responded..i mean if you weren't happy with what you got (even after saying you don't care what you get) then let me know! HOWEVER:
I have noticed that hosts are saying that people need to keep in close contact more and more...and dont send out till your partner does!!

@Tara n Shelia~i totally hear you on that one!!!!

Edit Delete

I would love to get a nice cooking set. I love my college football team like a true fan, but I have enough of the t-shirts already!
Sheila, as far as circumstances go, those aren't the problem cuz even still your partner gets out something even if it is late. But like Melissa said and what I meant, you never hear anything from them...if they got it, they liked it or whatever, nada! And that's the very reason why we hosts encourage partners to keep in contact but that's not always a safeguard. I think if people know they are listed as flakers or whatever kind of points system we come up with, if any, and they want to be in swaps, hopefully they won't join knowing they may not be allowed to, or may be not able to send out, or just want to try to redeem themselves, cuz of course I would want something added in that to give them a chance according to how many strikes they have against them.
I like swaps and I would like to continue to host and participate in others swaps, but something's gotta be done about the flakers.

Edit Delete

I love the pans, just need a new crash helmet....Lol. Our local football team scarves are the same colours as Harry Potter's so have been selling well Happy
Unfortunately is is difficult to instill good manners after a certain age. The very least a swap member should be able to expect is a thank you. Think you could be onto something with the 'strike' idea though Happy

Edit Delete

It's so hard to figure out the best way to attack the flakers... I tried once and scared everybody off! LOL

Creative- Let me know how swap bot goes, I have checked it out but am a little scared...

Edit Delete

as far as rating a swapper goes, i think a system like they have on etsy would work good. each member of co+k would have a rating on their profile stating how many swaps they have been in and then a rating for positive, neutral, or negative. it would be easy for the receiver of the swap to go to their swappers profile and click on the rating or leave feedback. then when someone wants to host a swap they can check all interested parties profiles. if someone who wants to swap has a lot of negative feedback then the swap host has the right to say they can't be in the swap. does that make any sense. sorry it's hard for me to compare it to anything else because i only swap here on co+k. never had someone not send anything but i did have two swaps that were really disappointing Happy and now i see that might be a trend with some folks on here- that they do send their half of the swap but it still missed the mark.....

Edit Delete

I would love to be in a swap but I don't have enough motivation to do it, and the pressure of a time frame constrains me - particularly during a period where I have a lot of coursework and revision to do. Oh plus the fact that I am really crap at crafting - but I <3 it!!!

Edit Delete

I have had a couple of instances now with flakers. It hurts a hell of a lot when you get a flaker. The only way I could think of trying to stop it but with also not keeping things too technical on swapping was to more strongly enforce the rule of "DO NOT send out until both you and your partner are ready too" As that is a rule I have begun implementing in my hosted swaps. This only gets tricky when some people have set times they have to send out due to money.

Edit Delete

Heather, that is exactly what I wish we had.

Edit Delete