Sewing machine dropping stiches, any ideas why?

Hi there, one of my sewing machines,which is just as basic a sewing machine you can buy has recently started being a bit awkward, it keeps dropping stitches in both zigzag and straight stitch. After a while it also breaks the thread from the top bobbin. It doesnt seem to be a problem with either the thread or the tension and I tried different settings..

Has anyone else had similar problems and found a solution?

Thanks muchly Happy

Tasha

Edit Delete
Moderate: Hide this post Mark as Spam
6 replies since 4th December 2011 • Last reply 4th December 2011

do you use the same type of thread for both top and lower thread? sometimes my sewing machines is "annoyed" because i used two different types and leaves out stitches. it can also happen that your neede size isn´t good with the thread, maybe the thread is too thick and the needle too thin or other way round.

Edit Delete

when my machine started doing this i changed the needle and it worked fine again!! Not a clue why this worked though!

Edit Delete

I've been arguing with my machine this afternoon - turned out to be a bent needle {but at least it's now oiled and dust free!}

Edit Delete

Do you have a drop in bobbin or a bobbin case. Either way you should try taking out as much of the bobbin area machine "guts" you can make sure they're dust free and that there isn't some stray broken threads in there. Every time something goes wrong with mine it always gets worse cause a bunch of stuff gets all stuck in that area. When you put it all back together make sure it's oiled and stuff. (I don't know how great of an idea it was but when I ran out of sewing machine oil, I use pam or liquid wrench)

If you have a bobbin case you may need to adjust the tension thing on the case itself. If you're using a not normal thread sometimes its necessary. I would save this for last though because it's SUPER touchy.

I don't know if you've been adjusting both the tensions. Most of the time they're two controls but the other one is rarely labeled, or maybe that must my luck. If your two tensions aren't jiving it'll throw off even the simplest operations. It's terrible, but a good majority of the time you won't even need the second.

It could very well be a problem with the needle, even if it's dull or just the wrong needle for the job.

Depending on how old your machine is it might just need a tune up.

Other than that I can't think of much else...unless turns out that you've been threading it the wrong way the entire time...that happened to me, no kidding I had the thing for two year and I was doing it the same way every time and then all the sudden it was an issue, turns out I'm retarded and was looking at the picture wrong. wtf...

Edit Delete

It can be one of three things:

Two different threads (like mentioned above), wrong needle size (like mentioned above), or wrong tension for the fabric weight.

Edit Delete

I generally use the same tension for anything from fleece interfacing to cotton and haven't had any problems *touch wood* The only issue I've ever had (which was today coinkydinkly) was when my machine kept leaving big loopy loops with the lower thread- not sure how I managed it but I'd put the bobbin in wrong :/

Edit Delete