- Stacy Lee
- Northern California
- Technical Writer
When did you first start knitting / crocheting and where did you learn?
I first learned to knit from a very mean lady at my LYS. I would have quit after two days if my BFF hadn’t stepped in and re-taught me in a kind and gentle manner.
Can you remember the first thing you made?
A hideous garter stitch scarf.
Who are your favourite pattern designers and celebrity knitters & crocheters?
I love Louisa Harding’s charming, romantic designs. Hadley Fierlinger is another favorite—her book “Vintage Knits for Modern Babies” is one of my all-time favorite knitting books. A few months ago I listened to a pod cast interview with Nicky Epstein and found her so inspiring and interesting.
What are your favourite things to stitch and do you have a favorite item you've made?
I have three favorites items: a feather & fan lap blanket that I designed for my mom, a Forest Canopy lace shawl, and a red matinee jacket for my two year old niece. But my secret knitting love is cotton wash cloths—I love that there is an endless number of stitches you can use, they can be finished in an evening or two, and you don’t have to pay close attention when you knit.
What music/podcasts/TV shows do you love to stitch along to?
When I knit in front of the TV, Big Bang Theory is usually on.
Do you do any other crafts and what are your hobbies?
I love things related to nature and the outdoors—bird watching, walking, weekends on the coast or in a redwood forest, etc. Other crafts I enjoy are mixed media collage, drawing, and baking.
Is there anything else you'd like to add?
I love animals and have two rescue cats that I adore.
What's your favorite?
- TV Show
- I love Mad Men and Big Bang Theory, but at the moment I am crazy about Downton Abbey and can’t wait for Sunday nights!
- I like many different types of music. Acoustic is one of my favorites.
- I love the outdoors, so I’ll say my favorite National Park is Yosemite.
- Pride & Prejudice
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- All sorts of shades of blue.
- Yarn Brand
- Well, it wouldn’t be fair to pick just one! I like to knit with blends of soft fibers such as bamboo, cotton, and silk.
- Places To Knit/Crochet
- On my patio, watching the birds come to the feeders and listening to the flow and gurgle of the creek.