- Kelley Gilbert
- Central Oregon
- Stay at home mom and maker
- Blankets / Quilts
When did you first start sewing and how did you learn?
I learned when I was a kid. I really did not enjoy it. I liked making, often drawing, painting and gluing something together. When I became a mother I started sewing again and haven't stopped!
Can you remember the first thing you made?
A pair of hammer pants. yeah
Do you have any favourite pattern designers or celebrity sewers?
Yes. I love Shelly of Figgy's patterns, and I am really into the Wiksten patterns.
What's your sewing room like and how do you organize your stash?
My sewing room is really our double insulated garage. I have a lot more space that way and its totally out of the house. I organize my stash by size of cut. less than half a yard goes into boxes by color, then from there they are in clear boxes. I also organize my type of fabric: cotton quilters weight, jersey, fleece, heavy weights, decor etc.
What music/podcasts/TV shows do you love to stitch along to?
I try to make a play list, but I love to listen to audiobooks when I am sewing.
Do you do any other crafts and what are your hobbies?
I am currently working on learning as many new techniques as I can teach myself. I am calling it my 365 makes project and it is on my blog. Every 30 days I switch mediums and within that medium try as many techniques as I can think of... I started Jan 1, and I am still working on it!
Is there anything else you'd like to add?
my children are a big inspiration to me. They think I can make anything, even mold new legos, but their belief in me makes it more meaningful to keep learning...
What's your favorite?
- TV Show
- Doctor Who. My parents watched the doctor when I was a kid and when they started the show back up I immediately started watching.
- Lana del Rey
- Portland, OR
- Anything by Tom Robbins. not only is it local to me, but its so odd and wonderful that I get sucked into the story immediately.
- I love all colors so its hard to choose a favorite, but I always love a good red tone.
- Fabric Brand
- Sewing accessory or Tool
- Other than my sewing machine is the designated fabric mallet. it has a soft gel edge and I love love love since I sew alot of thick seems.