Here are the materials required:
Old T-shirt (Cotton, jersey)
Tailor chalk (Not shown above)
Ruler (Not shown above)
*Do note that only the unprinted area of the T-shirt can be used to make your yarn. The parts that have prints on them will be too stiff!
1. Place the T-shirt on a flat surface. Cut off the bottom seam and top portion of the T-shirt from the underarms.
*Don't throw the other parts away! They may come in useful next time.
2. With the stitched side facing you, draft your lines to prepare for cutting, leaving a 1â€³ margin at the top. Your strips can range from 0.5â€³ to 1â€³, depending on how thick you will want your yarn to be. Now, follow your lines and cut! Remember not to cut into the 1â€³ margin.
3. After cutting your strips, open up the folded edge where you had left the 1â€³ margin. Cut from the first cut at the bottom to the second cut at the top diagonally. Keep cutting diagonally from bottom to top.
4. This is how it will look when you reach your last cut. Follow the width of your strip and cut out your ends. You will get a long, continuous strip.
5. Now all you have to do is stretch your cloth. Grab one end and give it a tug. Repeat this for the rest of your yarn. It will roll up into a tube, forming your yarn. Simple, right? To keep it neatly, simply roll it into a ball and youâ€™re done!!!