1. Wash scarf to remove any sizing or finishes.
2. Cover work surface with plastic table cover.
3. Wet scarf in warm water; squeeze out excess water. Twist scarf lengthwise like a rope and then coil it up like a snail in a round dish.
4. Wearing rubber gloves, pour 2 Tbsp Golden Yellow powder dye or 1 Tbsp liquid dye into a measuring cup. Add 2 cups very hot tap water (140F); stir well. If your tap water is not very hot, heat water in the microwave or in a tea kettle.
Note: Liquid dyes are more concentrated than powder dyes. So if a recipe calls for powder dye and you prefer to use liquid, just use half as much.
5. Pour Golden Yellow dye solution over coiled up scarf.
6. Measure 1 Tablespoon Scarlet liquid dye into measuring cup. Add 2 cups very hot tap water; still well. Pour dye solution over Golden Yellow as desired. Not all of the solution must be used. Cover dish with plastic wrap.
7. Line bottom of microwave with paper towels. Place dish in microwave and set on High for 2 minutes.
8. Wearing rubber gloves, remove dish from microwave. Rinse scarf in cool water until water runs clear. Then launder in warm water with a mild detergent; rinse and hang to dry.