cute and easy top
this is the tutorial for my triangle top-- it's made out of three triangles cut from 2 tees (preferably in contrasting colors). the third strap that wraps around the neck similar to a halter is optional, i just like it there :D
i got the idea for this from a project in generation tee, but this is my spin on it. this is my first how-to, so if i explained it badly just ask questions and ill try to do a better job...
- Crystal M. favorited Triangle Top Tutorial 01 Jan 14:24
- C.Rami favorited Triangle Top Tutorial 25 Oct 05:54
- Nicole B. added Triangle Top Tutorial to i need to make this! 16 Aug 18:34
- Sprinklez favorited Triangle Top Tutorial 21 Jun 20:56
- Bjorkcouture S. added Triangle Top Tutorial to clothing 17 Apr 02:49
- lange.hannalea favorited Triangle Top Tutorial 27 Feb 13:39
- Grimgirl101 favorited Triangle Top Tutorial 12 Dec 06:24
- hannah l. favorited Triangle Top Tutorial 24 Nov 12:12
- Valerie L. favorited Triangle Top Tutorial 17 Oct 21:56
- greenstyle favorited Triangle Top Tutorial 06 Jul 21:58
take your first tee, and cut off the bottom hem-- this will be used later for making the straps. next, cut a straight line from the bottom corner to the bottom of the armhole (along the red line). repeat all of this step on your second t-shirt.
NOTE: make sure to leave the folded edge on the right side of the tee intact-- otherwise the triangle will be too small.
take the two triangles and lay them out, right sides together. sew along one of the shorter edges (along the green line). leave a 5-6 inch gap from the end of the sewed part to the tip of the triangle (this later makes the neckline). this part will be the front of the shirt. flip right side out.
flip over the sewed triangles, and pull the two ends together and tie into a sturdy knot. this knot will be at the center of your back.
cut a third triangle from one of the two shirts...cut a line across the chest part of the shirt reaching from the bottom of one armhole to the other. take this new triangle, and place it right side down on the edge of another triangle in the back, and sew along the green line. repeat with the edge on the other side of the back piece, and you should now have what looks sort of like a tube top.
flip the shirt over, and take the hem from step one, and sew it onto the top of one of the chest parts (sew along the green line). repeat on the other one, so you now have two strips coming off the front of the top.
NOTE: this step is optional, i just think it looks cool...
use the hem from the second shirt and place it between the chest parts, and sew along the green lines, making sure that the part between them is taught, and the other part is longer and hangs down. when you put on the shirt, you fold one side of the loop over the other, and stick your head through so it crosses over on your chest sort of like a halter would.
sew the ends of the first two straps along the green lines onto the back of the top, and you have your finished top!