My son has been waiting for just the right inspiration to decide what heâ€™d like on his door.
This summer, it came to him. The Doctorâ€™s TARDIS.
This was not a hard project, but it was time consuming between steps. Hereâ€™s how we did it!
The first step is probably the trickiest. After measuring the door, I taped two pieced of graph paper together and then made a scale replica of the door. Using a photo of the TARDIS, I drew up what was as close as I could come to a scale replica, being the door is tall and narrow.
Our door was already painted light blue, so we moved on to measuring. If your door is not blue, remove the doorknob, prime, paint and let dry overnight before moving on.
Next, we used the yard stick and started measuring. We started by finding the center of the door and working our way out, comparing constantly to our graph paper design (which you can see on the right of the photo).
Once the pencil lines were on, we started taping. Iâ€™ll show how we did it and add how I wish weâ€™d done itâ€¦
We taped outside the windows and inside the door panels (we should have taped inside ALL the rectangles and painted the whole thing navy blue and then gone back and taped off the windowsâ€¦it would have been easier!).
Then we painted the inside of the window panels white.
We peeled off the tape around the windows and then started painting the rest of the door navy blue.
Once that was good and dry, we peeled off all the tape. You can see the blue from the original door make nice highlights for the panels.
Next, we penciled in lines for adding the vinyl letters. Even though Iâ€™d measured carefully on the graph paper, theyâ€™re not quite even. My kid is happy, so I left them!
Next, we used the blue paint pen (we tried a Sharpie maker, believe me, it did NOT work) to draw on the window panes and to add mitered corners around the light blue borders.
The notice was made in Photoshop by taking a TARDIS pic and then enlarging the notice. I then typed over the words, adjusting fonts and sizes until it was right for the size we needed. The is the scale version.
The notice was attached with glue and then smoothed completely down. I used Modge Podge to cover it, being very careful not to smear the ink.
Once the notice was dry, we added the doorknob back and we were done! I do have silver handles to add to make it even more TARDIS-like, but they arenâ€™t pictured.
Sorry about the awkward photo. The door is at a 45 degree angle to the hallway, which makes it very tricky to photograph!