I whipped together this cute little cape for a friend's 1st birthday. it even does double duty as a bib!
the pattern is pretty basic, but i changed to ribbon ties instead of velcro tabs (room to grow into!). unfortunately, i didn't get new pics before i gifted it.
if you convert to ribbon ties, use caution to avoid choking risk for small babies.
1) cut the cape shape x2
2) cut letters out of felt (can also use one big initial, or a custom design logo, like a space ship)
3) lightly glue the letters (or logo) to the right side of one of the cape pieces (i laid them out first and marked placement w/ chalk). best to use a solid or a fine print background (otherwise, your applique gets lost).
you can also use fusible interfacing to adhese the logo, but be careful ironing- acrylic felt can melt and ruin your iron, if not your cape!
4) with contrasting thread (thicker will show more brightly), zig zag stitch over the edge of the letters (you can see i was pretty sloppy, but stills looks great)
5) if using velcro, attach to the cape tabs now. the other option is to adjust the pattern and attach ribbon where the tabs are- ribbon gives it more size flexibility.
6) sew cape pieces together (right sides facing), starting inside the neckline and leaving appro 1/2 inch seam allowance. leave 5cm open.
7) turn right sides out, press open then top stitch some or all of the edge closed. you can also hand stitch the 5cm gap closed.
8) press the edges flat and viola! super baby!