I found these candle holders after Halloween at a Goodwill for .65 cents each! They were horrible and ugly... so I thought that I'd update them for my skull themed swap partner on another craft site :)
Since the skulls were made of plaster, I used a sharp knife to scrape away the price tags and to reshape the skulls a little.
The skulls were meant to be scary looking so they had fake cracks and really sharp features... So I scraped them until they looked much more soft and friendly :)
I did a base coat of white for the sugar skull look...
Then I painted the eye sockets and candle holes black....
I used the paint to paint on swirls, dots, and flowers...
Then I used the permanent markers to outline the designs and to add the little stripes around the top and jaw line and teeth.
Using the mod podge, I glued glitter to the teeth, and the jaw line for a little "bling."
Then I sealed both of the skulls in clear spray sealer!
*note about sealer*
be careful with this stuff... Mine went on a little thick and had some drips on the back... They aren't terribly noticeable.. but it still annoyed me!
Thanks for looking :)