Stripe It Rich PillowExtract from The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Knitting: Learn to Knit with More Than 30 Cool, Easy Patterns • By Nancy Queen and Mary Ellen O'Connell • Published by Potter Craft
A simple, but complex looking pillow.
This is one tricky little pillow! At first glance it looks as if you would be knitting across the row and would need to change colors every few stitches. Instead, we knitted the front panel sideways and the colors in rows so you only have to work with one color at a time. Knitting with different colors makes your knitting come to life and is a great way to express your creativity. We always enjoy seeing the colors play off of each other, as well as the excitement of working with different materials. Don't be surprised if you find yourself knitting much faster because you can't wait to get to the next color!
Approximately 15" x 15"
14 sts and 12 rows to 4" over St st (K 1 row, P 1 row) on size 10 needles, or size needed to obtain gauge.
© 2014 Nancy Queen / Potter Craft · Reproduced with permission.
Using color A, cast on 52 sts
1. Work in St st (K 1 row, P 1 row) for 26".
2. Bind off loosely.
Using color A, cast on 50 sts
1. Work in ST st for 5 rows.
2. Continuing to work in St st, change to color B, work for 8 rows.
3. Change to color A, work for 2 rows.
4. Change to color C, work for 8 rows.
5. Change to color A, work for 2 rows.
6. Change to color B, work for 12 rows.
7. Change to color A, work for 2 rows.
8. Change to color C, work for 8 rows.
9. Change to color A, work for 2 rows.
10. Change to color B, work for 8 rows.
11. Change to color A, work for 5 rows.
12. Bind off loosely.
1. Lay Back right side down, with cast-on edge at bottom.
2. Fold Back approximately 1 1/2" from bottom, as shown in diagram.
3. With right side up, lay Front on top of Back, with cast-on edge on left side and bind-off edge on right, as shown in diagram.
4. Stitch Front to Back at side seams and bottom at stitch line as shown in diagram using vertical-to-horizontal mattress st.
5. Insert pillow form and fold top of Back over Front approximately 7 1/2". Stitch side pieces down.
6. Attach buttons.
7. Weave in all yarn ends.
<i>Images and text copyright (c) taken from Chicks with Sticks Guide to to Knitting by Nancy Queen & Mary Ellen O'Connell, published by Watson-Guptill, RRP £10.99, available from <a href="http://www.thegmcgroup.com/ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-app.pl">www.thegmcgroup.com</a> or by calling 01273 488005</i>