my prom dress inspired by steampunk culture
I love the steampunk style, so I made my prom dress, as I wanted to be totally individual!
when I was first designing my dress, I wanted it to have aspects of the 'Um' dress in Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland, that's where the striped fabric is involved, then I decided on steampunk until finally I had a steampunk 'Um' dress!!
I apologise if I've missed anything out, or if my instructions are not clear, so any questions I will be happy to answer.Posted by HerNameIsAlixx from Stourbridge, GB • Published July 18, 2013 • See HerNameIsAlixx's 14 projects »
- HerNameIsAlixx entered Steampunk Prom Dress to Actual Film Votive 26 Aug 10:26
- amber t. favorited Steampunk Prom Dress 26 Aug 00:01
- Dee Zaster favorited Steampunk Prom Dress 25 Aug 18:51
- Rose K. favorited Steampunk Prom Dress 18 Aug 13:54
- Cris Figue favorited Steampunk Prom Dress 02 Aug 16:22
- raven w. favorited Steampunk Prom Dress 29 Jul 09:40
- Sarah D. favorited Steampunk Prom Dress 28 Jul 01:27
- tasiagriffith added Steampunk Prom Dress to wicked 26 Jul 20:25
- Sewa E. added Steampunk Prom Dress to BKB 17 Jul 00:16
- HarukaMS added Steampunk Prom Dress to Fashion! 08 Jul 06:18
choose the fabrics you want. to keep with the steampunk style, choose appropriate colours like brown, black and white. then make sure you have the right amount.
join the ends of the base fabric so that the skirt shape is taking shape.
hem the top fabric for a nice neat edge.
join both fabrics together with the sewing machine, leaving around 6 inches at the front, and gather the top to fit the waist. the bit left at the front will give a nice shape to the dress.
when happy with the size, join the fabrics to the header tape for the waist band, this must be done by hand as each gather needs to be invisibly attached to the band.
now for the fun part..
start to experiment with gathering the fabric (front and back)to give the dress volume and character.
for the corset, if it's plain like mine, spice it up a bit with panels of the base fabric and even some little cogs!
I decided to add a sleeve to my dress, so I used what I had left from the striped fabric and gathered it slightly on the corset.
that's it really! add accessories like a hat, gloves, jewellery and Victorian style boots for the perfect Steampunk look!