My mother's birthday was this week, so I decided to make her a cookie cake based on her favorite TV series. I think it came out pretty good for my first time decorating a cake!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to the batter along with the salt. Stir in flour and chocolate chips.
3. Get a large pan and spread parchment paper
4. Bake for about 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until you can stick a knife in the middle of the cake and it is clean.
5. Stick in the fridge for an hour, or allow it to cool on a table until no heat is felt.
Take your cooled cookie cake out of the fridge, or off the table, and clear an open workspace.
Put blue icing in the middle in a circular shape, leaving 2 or three inches on the sides for the gate itself.
Then ice the space around the circle with gray icing.
it may look a little sloppy, but at this point I put a ring of black icing around the blue circle, and used it to separate the two areas.
Now this part gets a little tricky.
Get your black icing and make about 20 equally sized sections around the gray part of the cake.
I had about 23, but thats because I'm not the best at estimation.
next, take your yellow icing and roughly draw out about 9 triangles around the gate. its fine if it overlaps the black, it just adds to the effect.
Again, I estimated distance wrong and ended up with more triangles than I needed, but oh well.
This was my trickiest part.
I took a skewer and lightly spread the yellow icing, trying to keep it apart from the other colors. It also helped me fix my errors in the triangle shapes.
Heres the fun part! taking your black icing, draw a few authentic symbols, (or at least the one for earth) in between the black lines. If you dont know the symbols, MAKE UP YOUR OWN! My five year old brother had a lot of fun making up his own symbols, as did I.
Now, outline each yellow triangle with black icing to make them look more raised and uniform. This definitely helped the stony look.
Add some white icing or sprinkles, (i added both) into the middle of the blue, to give it a more authentic watery look.
Write your message in the middle, then TADA! You are done making your very own Stargate cookie cake! :D