These used to be a pair of pants that I refashioned into shorts. Once I cut them I evenly put masking tape on one side and put bleach on it for 5 or 6 minutes then washed it and dried it. I did this about 5 times. I painted the unbleached parts with red fabric paint. Then I had little sequin stars that I had from a past project and taped them down on the other side. I painted around them blue with fabric paint and then bleached the places that were not painted the same way that I did the stripes. I then did the same with the pockets on the back. After I was finished the painting I turned up the bottoms for cuffs and sewed them into place.