This project was inspired by an umbrella that I saw over at Chic Steals. Although the flowers on the edges class it up a bit, I like how it looked sort of like a vase of roses when it was closed even more.
This cost me around $3 to make. I bought the umbrella at the Dollar Tree for $1 and the fabric as a remnant for $1.18. I used Amazing Goop for the clear glue, but any clear glue fabric adhesive would do. I had originally planned to hand stitch all of the flowers in place but worried it would make the underside look ugly so I decided to use the clear glue instead.
Cut the fabric into approximately 1" x 22 1/2" strips (I ended up with 28 strips and used 24 on the project). Thread a needle and put a knot in the end and baste stitch at the bottom at around 1 inch intervals and then gather up loosely.
Start rolling from the edge that has the knot to create a rose. The one below is tightly wrapped, but for the majority of the project rolled it much more loosely. Stitch together to hold it in place at the bottom of the flower.
Repeat on the remaining strips of fabric.
Pin a flower by each of the spokes.
Pin a flower in the center between each of the two flowers at the spokes. Remove flowers one by one, apply clear glue to the bottom, firmly place back on the umbrella where it was removed from and use a clothespin to hold it in place while it dries, repeat until all flowers are glued on.