If every type of yarn represented a place, then Lurex would have to be Las Vegas – twinkly, bright and a little bit trashy! It’s used here to create this glamorous accessory. The inspiration for the purse came from Salvador Dali’s legendary Mae West Lips sofa, and the purse is knitted in an appropriately bright red colour. It would also make a great gift if knitted in a blush pink or rich burgundy colour and filled with glamorous make-up.
This sexy purse is knitted in easy stockinette (stocking) stitch. The pouting effect
is created with short rows, which gives the knitted fabric a three-dimensional shape and a lovely curvy outline.
The gauge is 26 sts and 40 rows to 10.2cm (4in) square over stockinette stitch using size 3 (3.25mm) needles.
The yarn is used double (knit through both strands of yarn for each stitch). The front and back are different sizes.
This is the perfect activity book for crafters of every mood, budget and skill level with 20 diverse and fun craft projects. The stylish and imaginative projects cover all popular crafts, from knitting and stitching to jewellery and soap-making, providing an opportunity to try something new. It is gorgeous, fun and wildly creative, both beginner and experienced crafters will be amazed at what they can make!© 2013 Various / David & Charles · Reproduced with permission.
knitting the purse
1 Front: Cast on 20 sts.
• Row 1 Inc 1, k20, inc 1. 22 sts.
• Row 2 and every even row until zip shaping, purl.
• Row 3 Inc 1, k5, m1, k12, m1, k5, inc 1. 26 sts.
• Row 5 Inc 1, k26, inc 1. 28 sts.
• Row 7 Inc 1, k22, turn, ss, p15, turn, ss, knit to end, inc 1. 30 sts.
• Row 9 Inc 1, k30, inc 1. 32 sts.
• Row 11 Inc 1, k6, m1, k20, m1, k6, inc 1. 36 sts.
• Row 13 Inc 1, k36, inc 1. 38 sts.
• Row 15 Inc 1, k28, turn, ss, p17, turn, ss, knit to end, inc 1. 40 sts.
• Row 17 Inc 1, k40, inc 1. 42 sts.
• Row 19 Inc 1, k7, m1, k28, m1, k7, inc 1. 46 sts.
• Row 21 Inc 1, k46, inc 1. 48 sts.
• Row 23 Inc 1, k34, turn, ss, p19, turn, ss, knit to end, inc 1. 50 sts.
• Row 25 Inc 1, k50, inc 1. 52 sts.
• Row 27 Inc 1, k15, k2tog tbl, k18, k2tog, k15, inc 1. 52 sts.
• Repeat last 2 rows twice more, then purl 1 row.
2 Zip shaping:
• Row 33 K4 and working only on these sts, work 3 rows. Cut yarn and place these sts on stitch holder.
• With RS facing, re-join yarn to stitches and work on centre 44 sts. Purl 1 row to create a ridge.
• Work 3 rows in st st. Bind off.
• Cast on 44 sts and work 3 rows in st st, starting with a knit row.
• Work 1 knit row to create a ridge, then place the sts on a stitch holder and cut yarn.
• Re-join yarn to remaining 4 sts and work 3 rows.
• Next row, knit across these 4 sts, the 44 cast-on stitches, and across the 4 sts held on stitch holder.
• Work 2 rows in st st, no shaping.
3 Upper lip:
• Row 1 K2tog, k15, m1, k18, m1, k15, k2tog. 52 sts.
• Row 2 and every even row until row 24, purl.
• Rows 3 and 5, as row 1.
• Row 7 K2tog, k33, turn, ss, p18, turn, ss, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. 50 sts.
• Row 9 K2tog, k33, turn, ss, p16, turn, ss, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. 48 sts.
• Row 11 K2tog, k22, turn and work on these stitches, leaving remaining stitches on stitch holder.
• Row 13 K2tog, k18, k2tog. 20 sts.
• Row 15 K2tog, k15, turn, ss, p13, turn, ss, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. 18 sts.
• Row 17 K2tog, k14, k2tog. 16 sts.
• Row 19 K2tog, k10, turn, ss, p7, turn, ss, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog. 14 sts.
• Row 21 K2tog, k12, k2tog. 12 sts.
• Row 23 K2tog, k10, k2tog. 10 sts.
• Row 24, bind off 2 sts, p6, p2tog. 9 sts. Bind off remaining stitches.
• RS facing, re-join yarn to stitches on stitch holder (row 11), and work to match, reversing all shaping.
4 Back: Cast on 20 sts.
• Work in st st, starting with knit row.
• Increase on next (Row 3) and every following knit row until 54 sts.
• Work 5 rows st st, no shaping.
• Decrease (use k2tog) at each end of every knit row until 46 sts.
• Purl 1 row.
• Row 1 K2tog, k21, turn and work on these stitches, leaving remaining stitches on a stitch holder.
• Row 2 and every even row until row 16, purl.
• Row 3 K2tog, k18, k2tog. 20 sts.
• Row 5 K2tog, knit to end. 19 sts.
• Row 7 K2tog, k15, k2tog. 17 sts.
• Row 9 K2tog, k13, k2tog. 15 sts.
• Row 11 K2tog, k11, k2tog. 13 sts.
• Row 13 K2tog, k9, k2tog. 11 sts.
• Row 15, bind off 2 sts, k6, k2tog. 8 sts.
• Row 16 P2tog, p6. 7 sts.
• Bind off the remaining stitches.
With RS facing, re-join yarn to the stitches on stitch holder and work to match, reversing all shaping.
5 Darn in loose ends and press gently. Using the knitted pieces as templates, cut out two lining pieces, marking the front opening. Pin the zip on the wrong side of the lining to correspond with the opening. Slit the fabric to correspond with the zip’s teeth. Re-pin the lining, hemming it and slipstitching it on to the zip. Place the lining pieces right sides together and stitch together.
6 Pin the knitted pieces wrong sides together, adjusting pins around edges for best fit. Stitch around the edges of the lip shape. Insert the lining lips into the knitted lips. Pad the lips with stuffing. Slipstitch the zip to the edges of the knitted front.