I am in a musical ensemble called "Stage to Screen" this semester (pieces from 5 musicals that have been turned into movies) and we all have to have a basic black outfit. The requirements for the ladies are a full black skirt and a black blouse. I didn't have a ton of money, so I went to a thrift store, where I found things that might work but which needed some changes.
While poking through the thrift store, I found this apron/jumper/pinafore thing which looked slightly frumpy as it was, but which had a nice full black skirt. I got it for $2, and this is what I did to make it work for my outfit.
This is what I started out with.
First I separated the top and bottom parts of the pinafore, and disassembled the top piece as seen here. I'm almost incapable of throwing things out, and figured that I could probably use the lace, embroidery, and other bits for other projects.
This is what the skirt piece looked like. As seen in the first picture, it had pink bias tape over the ruffle seam, so I took that off so I could have just a plain black skirt.
Then all I had left to do was to finish off the skirt to make it wearable. I tucked in the seam allowance over the ruffle and sewed it into the inside. Then I made a casing at the top and put in an elastic waistband.
This is a picture of the finished outfit (I'll list the blouse as a separate project). The skirt is very comfy and full, great for dancing in the show.