Taxidermy for vegetarians!
The minute I saw this at Anthropologie.com I wanted to make my own... not that I did not want to spend €68 because they would definitely be well spent but because I told myself I could not turn this into a DIY project and saw it as a challenge.
- lena.baines favorited Paper Mache Zebra Head 15 Jul 11:21
- sunshinerose0 commented on Paper Mache Zebra Head 02 May 07:07
- sunshinerose0 favorited Paper Mache Zebra Head 02 May 07:04
- d.thomas9567 added Paper Mache Zebra Head to Ideas 09 Jan 19:39
- Pony W. favorited Paper Mache Zebra Head 06 Jan 03:32
- Doriens favorited Paper Mache Zebra Head 26 Dec 17:57
- Susi S. added Paper Mache Zebra Head to Chiliqueens 30 Sep 19:57
- Susi S. favorited Paper Mache Zebra Head 30 Sep 19:57
- go-go-chi favorited Paper Mache Zebra Head 19 Sep 13:38
- Veronica B. favorited Paper Mache Zebra Head 30 Aug 16:49
SHAPE OF ZEBRA HEAD:
Search for zebra's in google images and sketch to get familiar with the shape of the zebra's head.
I also had the anthropologie zebra head at hand.
SHAPING THE CHICKEN WIRE:
This part is realllly tricky and also very time consuming.
Shape your chicken wire with needle nose pliers and diagonal cutter pliers until you find you have the shape of the zebra.
The ears are incredibly delicate so I tried to make it a little sturdier near the head.
Wrap the head in plastic foil, it's way easier to glue on.
Mix one cup of flour with a tblsp of salt and three cups of water.
Boil for 5 minutes let it cool and your paste is ready for use.
Grab your newspaper and cut strips of 4x6 cm
Glue one layer of newspaper strips onto the foil..
Now cover the whole head with masking tape.
Glue one more layer of newspaper strips.
I noticed the paper strips that were used on the original Anthropologie head were in French so I bought a newspaper (Le Monde) and used that for the final layer.
Now the fun part, painting the stripes.
To make the zebra look as realistic as possible paint black stripes leaving what stays 'white' to an equal size.
<- see picture
The stripes could be painted a little thicker.
Drill a hole in the back for hanging.
Enjoy your piece of wall décor!